Author Topic: Really pissed off. Left lottie in tears  (Read 15483 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Really pissed off. Left lottie in tears
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2013, 17:27:59 »
Things are a bit better at the moment.  Not much to eat.  Luckily they do not seem to like parsnips and rhubarb.  Though I have lost a compost bin, but luckily it was one I was given.  Though I did have a nice pointed spring cabbage and it has vanished.

I have just planted out some more cabbage plants so it will be interesting to see how many I actually get to eat.

There are more people about at the moment so hopefully things will be ok for a while.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2013, 00:36:35 »
Things are a bit better at the moment.  Not much to eat.  Luckily they do not seem to like parsnips and rhubarb.  Though I have lost a compost bin, but luckily it was one I was given.  Though I did have a nice pointed spring cabbage and it has vanished.

I have just planted out some more cabbage plants so it will be interesting to see how many I actually get to eat.

There are more people about at the moment so hopefully things will be ok for a while.

The compost bin has gone?!! Might it have been blown onto someone else's plot?

If I were you I'd mark my initials and post code onto anything else (buckets etc) that I have on the plot. If they vanish at least you would be able to prove they were yours!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2013, 06:05:34 »
Looked everywhere for the bin.  Marking things is a good idea, I mark all my bean canes in morse code, it is easier to write.   

I found the lid for my other bin on someone else bin, easy to spot mine is grey and their's is black.  It ended up on a water butt saying compost bin!!   Did not blow off, it is almost impossible to get off.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2013, 02:36:01 »
Looked everywhere for the bin.  Marking things is a good idea, I mark all my bean canes in morse code, it is easier to write.   

I found the lid for my other bin on someone else bin, easy to spot mine is grey and their's is black.  It ended up on a water butt saying compost bin!!   Did not blow off, it is almost impossible to get off.

One other thing you could do in case of any dispute is to take a camera to the plot with you. Use it to photograph anything that might "wander off". If you find your property somewhere else take a photo of where it's got to and show the plot managers / site wardens.

We are (touch wood) very lucky. I have only once lost anything from my plot. I couldn't find my fairly new stainless steel swoe in the shed... hunted everywhere for it then realised in my haste to get back to cook my parents meal I had forgotten to pick it up from the path.

A few days later (while still searching for it) I peered into a neighbour's shed and there it was! Later still I mentioned it to my neighbour when I saw him and he told me his son-in-law had found it and put it there. As no one had asked about the tool it had gone to the finder.... but it was returned very promptly with an unnecessary apology. After all it was partly my fault for leaving it on a shared path I guess. I certainly wont do it again!!

If I had left it on my plot it would have still been there when I went back.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2013, 06:01:54 »
I have painted my plot number on all components of daleks and water butts, in a BIG font.  But canes and sticks go missing all the time.  The next roll of netting I buy will be bright red, not the ubiquitous green that seems to disappear then suddenly a neighbour has got a new brassica tunnel.  It's difficult to not let all this scum get to you sometimes.

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2013, 21:06:48 »
A bit late reading this post but it reminded me of my dad who died 28 years ago. My dad was a brillant gardener and a very successful produce exhibitor.  This was the days when most of the pubs had a Sunday lunch time show for a few pounds prize money. We were a poor family but well fed from the allotment so a few pounds would be most welcome to the family budget if he won.
Anyway someone stole some of his prize onions which he was famous for. Dad's remedy was to insert razor blades ( the old fashion single ones) into the tops of some of his remaining onions so that if someone came in the middle of the night to steal them he would go home with more than an onion in his hand. As kids we were told to look out for anyone with bandages on his hands.
I am not suggesting for one minute that anyone should copy these type of methods but times were hard and money was scarce. On reflection the razor blades were the best option as my dad was 6' 2" and an ex military policeman so a cut hand would be less painfull than my him catching the thief red handed.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 21:10:48 by plot22 »

planetearth

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2013, 16:24:11 »
Leave a big sign there "To who ate my cabbages.  I pissed on them daily to keep the butterflies off - hope you enjoyed the flavour".

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal