Produce > Ponds 'n' Stuff

Pond pump, on or off ?

<< < (2/2)

T o m:
Thanks folks, for your input. I think I'll err on the side of caution and leave it on for the time being, though I've taken the UV tube out as I've read they can freeze and shatter.

T o m

goodlife:
It is good thing to leave the pump on as other have suggested as cold temperature in water will have dropping effect to the oxygen levels and if there is fish in the pond there is big risk of loosing them if the pump is off.

grawrc:
I don't have fish, so it isn't an issue.

I just checked my pump instructions and it says to switch off over winter and/or when temperatures fall below zero. But it's quite an old pump. They are probably more efficient now.

Nomspatch:
Our pump stays on ALL year...but we do keep fish....the biggest benefit is that even if the ponds freeze over the moving water does NOT freeze, the pump acts as a heat source for one, so consequently the waterfalls always keep a hole in the ice/snow whatever and the fish are much happier...If we didn't do it this last winter would have seen the two shallow ponds frozen solid here...N Wales ,halfway up a mountainside...

rowbow:
I leave mine on 24/7, the pump is in the deepest part on top of a plastic crate, the crate has bricks zip tied inside to stop it moving about, on stormy days the air pressure forces the oxygen out of the pond, so having it on keeps the levels up, I think the manufacturers are covering their backs.  :coffee2:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version