Produce > Ponds 'n' Stuff

Pond pump, on or off ?

(1/2) > >>

T o m:
I've recently inherited a pond after moving house, and any thoughts would be greatly appreciated on whether to shut down the pond pump for winter or not.

There's a lot of conflicting ideas out there, so anyone's personal experience would be good.

Thanks

T o m

hippydave:
i leave mine on all year and never turn it off, but i do keep an eye on it during the very cold times to make sure its still working, but if your pond is a shallow one make sure the pump is not at the very bottom just in case something does go wrong that it wont empty the whole pond.

T o m:
Cheers mate, good tip that.

T o m

tricia:
Pond pump and filter - on 24/7 all year round although it makes a noticeable to my electricity bill. Lovely clear water so it's worth it and the fish seem happy too.

Tricia

grawrc:
Mine gets switched off about now and left at the bottom of the pond till Feb/March  depending on the weather. Once the pond is iced over there is no way the pump will be able to function. It gets a thorough clean after the winter and then switched on again. But I am in Scotland. Further south is probably different. Oh my pond at its deepest is 3 feet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version