Author Topic: Garlic - any benefits to fresh leaf cover when planting?  (Read 1339 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
Garlic - any benefits to fresh leaf cover when planting?
« on: December 03, 2012, 19:18:46 »
A few weeks ago, you gave me some great tips on strong garlic.  I eventually ordered on-line Chesnok Red and Bella Italiano but disappointed when only the Red was sent and told the Italiano was not available due to "poor growing conditions".  Cant see why reputable suppliers mislead in this way because surely they would know well in advance so late in the season.

Anway, moan over, I planted the cloves this weekend and covered with a layer of recently collected leaves....on the basis it would provide some protection from harsh conditions and (may) eventually rot down...if it doesnt blow away in the first puff of wind.  Any thoughts on whether using leaves like this really doesnt add anything and that it has to have had a year to turn into mould before you get the benefits.

Thanks for all the comments

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Garlic - any benefits to fresh leaf cover when planting?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 20:11:20 »
Garlic don't need any protection from 'harsh weather/cold' but actually benefits from it. However...giving leaf mulch is good..some the leaves will be processed into smaller bits over winter and by spring lot of it has disappeared and will add some goodness into soil. There is not much fertilizer value from leaves, instead that dark crumbly matter will warm up in spring better than soil and will help to keep the soil moist once the sun really start warming up (we should hope so..) Leaf mold is also good source of humus..type of matter in soil that is so necessary for successful plant growth.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
Re: Garlic - any benefits to fresh leaf cover when planting?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 22:05:09 »
As well as adding vital humus (which for years to come will break down into humic acid, which in turn will release soluble nutrients from the mineral constituents of your soil), the leaves will protect the existing soil humus from the elements, and give cover for beneficial insects such as ground beetles (which feed on slug eggs). They will also prevent weed seed germination by excluding light. My take on using leaves with garlic (in a more complex planting system), and with mesh retainers is here:
http://oca-testbed.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/minor-root-crops-as-ground-cover-in.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal