Author Topic: What are we eating today?  (Read 23506 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
Re: What are we eating today?
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 22:11:46 »
As jude is recovering from a mid week Op,ive been on nursy alert,so grabbed a few bits from plot to make todays soup.

2lb of Tomatilloes with chicken breasts and assorted bits and bobs made a sweet and sour soup.
First time ive ever used the Tomatilloes in anger and im pleased with the resuly,when I get a minute away from her bedside I will post the recipe as
as its one we both enjoyed.........kinda luv it or hate it flavour,but judes happy,        so im happy..!!!!!!

Gazza

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 23:17:08 »
I had another bowlful of the soup Imade yesterday as I really couldn't find space for more than one portion in the freezer and I had already given half the potful to my friend. Also used some stored apples to make an apple pie - gave half of that to my friend too. She doesn't like cooking and always welcomes whatever I have to offer!

The venison steak is still in the fridge but is definitely on the menu for tomorrow.

Tricia

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 10:28:49 »
yesterday I made a veg stir fry with the pak choy and chinese leaves  and onions from the allotment, the last of my peppers, some carrots and courgettes, just stir fried with some soy sauce. Was very yummy and a little spicy from the chinese leaves. We ate that with sausages :)
Then last night we have veg soup with one of the few butternuts that grew for me, combined with the first leeks from the allotment, carrot, potato. very tasty.
Tonight I am trying a recipe that I saw: pasta with swiss chard (picked a nice little bunch yesterday) and rocket: cook the pasta and boil the swiss chard. brown some onions and a heap of garlic and diced bacon and wilt the rocket into that. Add cooked chard to that and then add a little cream and the recipe said gorgonzola but i don't have any so it might be a little goat's cheese I think. Add the pasta, season well, combine and serve.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 10:44:20 »
Well Ive got the meat sorted, went out shooting on Saturday and got a few pigeon's just not sure what to do with it, been looking on line for inspiration :icon_scratch:
 Ive seen a nice salad with quail eggs ??, have to have a look in my river cottage book's

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 11:22:27 »
We've got few pheasants too...and partridges !  :toothy10:

Tonight we are having 'humble' soup...mixed veg and loads of kale and some smoked sauges chopped in to give some extra flavour...quick and easy.. :toothy10:

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 12:19:49 »
As i am on a diet i`m having strawberry slimfast . . . . . .  . . with chips . . . . yummy lol
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 12:27:00 »
Today we are having a good stew, i have put all leftover vegatables & celery & of course lentils & barley, stewing beef, homemade stock, that was at about 10-30 this morning that will be in the slow cooker untill about 5pm then add some herb dumplings Yuuuumy. We shall have the rest tomorrow with small potatoes added & crusty bread.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 13:36:00 »
I've just had some lovely German vollkkornbrot with smoked salmon and diced dill cucumbers. Very tasty.

Tonight a winter veg stew - carrots, parsnips, celery, onion, swede, flageolet beans all with a touch of curry powder and a smidgeon of turmeric as well as parsley, rosemary and time. Might add some sage too then I can sing the Scarborough Fair song?!!:P

This will be the base for some grilled lemon sole and hopefully will provide lunch tomorrow too.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 16:39:14 »
Tonight we're having some homemade minestrone , everything from the plot apart from the stock  :toothy10:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 21:20:20 »
Fish stew with rocket, squash, tomato, hot pepper, carrot and runnerbeans.  I have lots of rocket at the moment and use it cooked as well as a salad ingredient. 

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 23:16:15 »
Today was grab on the go(mostly left over cottage pie from yesterday) what with the kids in and out driving them around to there clubs Wednesday is always a mad house,
Tomorrow is mini roast day :happy7:  and I'm going to have some of my OWN sprouts :blob7: this is the 1st year i have managed to grow them they normally just blow, taken me 4years to get it right and to find a good seed  :tongue3:

Steve.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 23:28:11 »
We had a lovely leek and chicken pie yesterday and fully intended to eat more of it today, however ... today was the day the old kitchen was removed. After 10 hours of air filled with early 20th century dust compounded by whatever chemicals were in the stuff they used to prime the walls for plastering tomorrow I was so pumped up with allergens that I had to get out of the house to breathe!

So quadretti al salmone , affogatto and a glass of montepulciano at our local Italian helped me to recover. Now enjoying a splash of Glenlivet in a glass of water and breathing a lot better!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 11:58:22 »

So quadretti al salmone , affogatto and a glass of montepulciano at our local Italian helped me to recover. Now enjoying a splash of Glenlivet in a glass of water and breathing a lot better!

Hm...do you really need kitchen after all? Sounds rather nice..'Italian' flushed down with a bit of 'Scottish'.. :icon_cheers:

We are having some chestnut sausages and mash with splash of gravy accompanied with pile of buttery kale....yum..can't wait until dinner.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2012, 15:18:24 »
Had some of our tomatoes, consto something, yellow lemon and tigerella,still ripening on the windowsill, with some nice strong cheddar and granary bread, lovely  :happy7:

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2012, 18:09:09 »
The great advantage about getting a new kitchen fitted is that you don't feel guilty about eating out. So on Friday we tried out an Indian/ Bangladeshi place we hadn't been to before. Sabzi pakore, ginger murgh, shatkora lamb with a bit of boiled basmati and a garlic and coriander naan. All very tasty and made us think we will go back!

Last night we slummed it on leftovers from the fridge (leek and chicken pie + smoked salmon butties) and tonight we are invited out!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2012, 21:58:32 »
No cooking in our house tonight....it was chippie night!..yum yum  :toothy10:

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2012, 20:15:47 »
Roast Chicken with all the trimmings.   :icon_cheers:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2012, 16:38:52 »
Boiled potatoes in skins, peas, pork chop and sprouts. I LOVE sprouts :toothy10:

Nothing I grew though  :crybaby2:

Cat wait for my own next year.  :happy3:

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2012, 17:38:02 »
Rack of ribs, jackets, mushrooms, onions and coconut rice.   
Fish fingers and smilies for the littlun
Prawns and basmati rice for the oldest
 :blob7:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 17:45:40 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2012, 17:50:37 »
Bacon ribs, roast charlottes, romanesco in cheese sauce and runner beans  :toothy10:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal