Author Topic: How self suficient are you?  (Read 9832 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re: How self suficient are you?
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2005, 20:07:56 »
I tried a carton of Goats milk as my puppy decided he didn't like it much and neither did I arrgh! poured it down the sink  :-\

Roy, you could have used it for making bread.

I use goats milk for making soap, makes the most wonderful moisturising soap when combined with olive oil and other ingredients.

We're not self sufficient but would like to become more that way, don't think we could ever be totally self sufficient. This year with the allotment giving us so much more space than in our garden I hope to be able to supply most of our veg and fruit. What does need to be bought in will be bought from the local farm shop. We have hens so no more buying eggs and one of the hens has gone broody (yesterday) so hopefully roast chicken will be home grown as well once the chicks hatch and grow bigger. I have a smallholder raising a pig for me, it's a weaner at the moment buy hopefully come November we will have lots of bacon, roast pork and we are going to try our hand at sausage and ham making.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2005, 21:09:03 »
National Downshifting Week 23rd April http://www.downshiftingweek.com/index.htm - Perfect excuse to take time off work and spend a day in the garden/allotment  ;D
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

North Country Boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2005, 15:00:35 »
National Downshifting Week 23rd April http://www.downshiftingweek.com/index.htm - Perfect excuse to take time off work and spend a day in the garden/allotment  ;D

Great im off work from Thurs 21st, bet you cant guess where im gonna be all weekend, and the kids are going to a friends wedding and the wifes at work all weekend, whooooooo hoooooo - outstretch's arms and gyrate's them in time with gyrating botttom.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2005, 18:19:42 »
Sounds idyllic.  What's the weather forecast?   

NCB - Ttt :)

My OH (suited type with briefcase, company car) loves the allotment and fiddling with his old shed (no, not me!!!), and he'd like to chuck his job and keep chickens etc.

He's scrounging pallets to use as decking round his shed so he can put out his deckchair and listen to the footy on the wind up radio (which he bought ME for Christmas)  ;D    Roll on 23rd April
I came, I saw, I composted

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2005, 18:56:54 »
Roy Bham- I find avoiding cows milk keeps my crohns at bay so i guess i am lucky that i like it. Its very good for you in itself though- drink it straight for two weeks and youll acquire the taste for it.

John
I LOVE OP AMPS!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2005, 15:53:46 »
I tried a carton of Goats milk as my puppy decided he didn't like it much and neither did I arrgh! poured it down the sink  :-\
It must have been off. It is really only a full fat milk, remember the old bottles with the cream at the top, well this cream would come at least a third down the bottle. But if you are a green top wimp :D this is not for you.
goats milk does pick up the flavour of what they have been eating, as I found out when they nicked the ivy off the wall. they also ate some of my reliant robin van when I used to transport them to work.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2005, 18:12:42 »
I had a guest who could only drink goats milk (?) so I got him some and me and my OH tried it.  I thought it was fine.  Couldn't tell much difference  :) 

Sorry for losing the thread but everyone else seems to have veered off self sufficiency.  Praps we're not very good at that, but goats milk info spot on  ;D

Tracey Smith

• Not So New ...
National Downshifting Week UK
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2005, 21:18:51 »
Hi all,

My name is Tracey Smith and I am spearheading National Downshifting Week, which runs from the 23rd to the 29th April.

I am delighted to see you talking about it and making plans for it too!

I hope that it encourages you to look at the many different aspects and benefits of living a simpler life and I am on a countrywide tour at the moment, giving interviews en route.

The media and public response to the 'Week' has been fantastic and I am always inspired to hear people talking about.

It is a non-profits campaign and if you can help spread the word, I would be very grateful for your help.

Have a look at www.DownshiftingWeek.com and see if anything makes you go "Hmmmm...."  ;D

See you around and drop me a note with your progress via the contact form on the site.

With kind regards,

Tracey Smith
Creator
National Downshifting Week.com

www.DownshiftingWeek.com

North Country Boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2005, 22:38:24 »

Sounds idyllic. What's the weather forecast?

NCB - Ttt :)

My OH (suited type with briefcase, company car) loves the allotment and fiddling with his old shed (no, not me!!!), and he'd like to chuck his job and keep chickens etc.

He's scrounging pallets to use as decking round his shed so he can put out his deckchair and listen to the footy on the wind up radio (which he bought ME for Christmas) ;D Roll on 23rd April

Me too, would love to give up the day job, burn the suits and chuck the mobile in the nearest canal and spend all my time doing something that i loved rather than something i had to do, but with another NCB junior on the way its a long and distant dream. Had come up with a veg box scheme idea by using local produce and allotment leftovers, possibly incorporating some home made jams, chutneys and soups etc. but like all my ideas they never seem to materialise.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2005, 23:04:50 »
It must have been off. It is really only a full fat milk, remember the old bottles with the cream at the top, well this cream would come at least a third down the bottle. But if you are a green top wimp :D this is not for you.
goats milk does pick up the flavour of what they have been eating, as I found out when they nicked the ivy off the wall. they also ate some of my reliant robin van when I used to transport them to work.

The goats milk shouldn't have been off as it was well within the sell by date, maybe the goat had ate a rat before it was milked ::) I did like full fat milk until I was advised to reduce fat intake, I'm pleased I turned into a wimp as I now love semi skimmed (Green Top) and wouldn't go back as my cholesterol is now 3.5 ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2005, 16:14:23 »
NCB   I never thought I would end up running a B & B but I did.  Your veggie box scheme sounds fab.  You could even take baby with you on the deliveries.  When our in bloom group got an allotment we got talking to a pub landlord who said he would take off our hands all our asparagus, broccoli, bulb fennel, carrots etc.  Specially wanted pumpkins, squash, courgette and herbs.  Same with our local deli.  Also we have been approached by the local council about a food co-operative whereby our veg is bought off us and collected by van and sold cheaply to Sure Start types of organisations for low income families.  There might be an opening like that near you. 

If you hate your job then a dream is worth chasing.  Good luck  :)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2005, 16:17:01 »
Roy    do you eat porridge to lower your cholesterol?  I do, made with water which I thought would be yuk but is lovely.  My cholesterol is still too high though.  Expect I'll have to give up the drink  ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2005, 20:28:34 »
 ;D ;D Wardy I have my Oates regularly with semi wimp green top ;D not sure I'd like it with water same goes for the beer ;D

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2005, 21:00:41 »
C'MON THE GOATS MILK- everyone try it its soooooooooo good for you and soooooooomuch creamier with same calorie content as cows milk. Roy- you can get green top too ;D ;D :D
I LOVE OP AMPS!

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2005, 17:45:02 »
I used to milk the goats on the farm but the milk is disgusting :-\

I do LOVE gold top which I drink every day. cant stand all this watery mik and lo-cal rubbish ;D

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2005, 18:03:53 »
I just grabbed 10 beds a local hotel was putting in a skip, stripped them down for the wood. was gonna use as edging but in the end I have made a double size (posh) compo heap for down the lottie. ;D

Recycle & be tight till you squeak :-X

bear

• Not So New ...
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2005, 22:42:23 »
Goat's milk is like a lot of foods that you're not used to. It's an acquired taste...drink it regularly and you get used to it and it tastes just fine. I don't suppose you remember your first taste of beer....that probably tasted pretty foul but now.....!

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2005, 23:25:57 »
Downshifting week..................
MMMmmmmm think I will take thurs & fri off as its my birthday ;D

Mmmmmmm this wee I will take Friday off and ooopppsss! Monday is bank hol! Not worth working if self employed as no double time and day in loo etc

Hard life aint it :-X

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2005, 10:38:44 »
I'm self employed, but seem to lose all my bank holidays as I have both english + scottish clients - one lot are usualy off when the others aren't.

I'd love to do the whole self sufficient thing, but I think there's a compromise in there somewhere. Say 3-4 units (families/partners/one person etc) with half the unit taking care of the growing etc while the other half works to bring in money for the luxuries (holidays, cars etc)

D
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2005, 20:11:34 »
EJ re story of pigs.. we kept about 300 pigs in varying sizes for nine years. When I wanted one to be slaughtered for the freezer had to tell the kids it was one of Harrys' (friend over the road) otherwise they wouldn't eat pork.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal