Author Topic: Moving Rhubarb  (Read 2207 times)

steve1967

• Half Acre
Moving Rhubarb
« on: December 09, 2012, 09:34:13 »
Hi all,

Can anyone advise me as to when is the best time to move a rhubarb plant.

Thanks
Steve

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Moving Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 10:02:56 »
Just split ours and re planted with a big pile of well rotted muck over it is :happy7:

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 14:21:29 »
I always dig mine up every 3 years,i just leave it on the land so the frost can hit it then re plant early February,the plants seem to be much stronger after doing this
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 20:00:48 »
Your a little to late now mid september octorber time is about the best, You only need a bit of the stem and the root for it to work. Spring will be best now mulch up a bit of ground ready to take your cuttings. R
m j gravell

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 20:41:00 »
Just after lunch.  :tongue3:
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 07:47:58 »
You can move it anytime aafter it goes dormant. Lift it up and let it rest for a few days to let the frost get at it. Then replant it. Mulch around the crown in the early spring. The shock of frosting the root seems to help  recover the move

steve1967

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 15:22:16 »
Hi all,

Thanks for all your advice....I am going to dig it up at the weekend and let it have some frost as suggested.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 16:12:53 »
Now is the best time, don't mulch if you are planting straight away as the frost is essential for making the sugars/starch in the plant evolve to make for a better crop. Mulch it when it starts shooting to protect the stalks from late frosts, some say that frosted stalks are poisonous, but as you can freeze the stuff it does seem a bit far fetched. An old trick was to force it on when it started shooting with an old bucket put over the crown. You probably knew that anyway.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 12:44:45 »
Never know Rhubarb to fail when transplanted before the new year, if you have a problem with getting it frosted wrap it up and put in the freezer for a few days.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal