Author Topic: Outdoor Cucumber  (Read 5921 times)

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
Re: Outdoor Cucumber
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2005, 22:10:38 »
OK Tim, I'll join with Ina and give them a go outside this year, then compare results !   :)

Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2005, 17:58:44 »
Grew mine up a wigwam of canes, just need a bit of tying with string

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2005, 20:19:51 »
That's an idea.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2005, 14:40:50 »

PS Alan Romans is an expert on potatoes - not cus

OK then, just read the same from a Thompson & Morgan seed packet - good enough?   ::)
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2005, 08:50:42 »
Thanks for all the advice on this thread...been out to buy myself some Suttons F1 Burpless Tasty Green to try outside......I always struggled with them in a greenhouse!!  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2005, 09:27:02 »
With them - or any cu??

Surely something like Petita, Carmen, Danimas, Passandra cannot fail inside? But, of course, those are not as long as you want?

abarton6

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2005, 19:52:20 »
I bought a pkt of Marketmore - this is my first year so... we shall see.

I am not keen on eating cuc's myself but my Giant African Snails love them and you never know I might like them too when they are home grown.

AL

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2005, 20:05:31 »
Like the last photo I always grow them up a net. Get an old one from your local football club. Pick them small and pickle them whole, or as my sons like them eat them like apples out of the fridge, very refreshing. Or you could always be boring and eat them in a sandwich.  ugh!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2005, 09:22:28 »
Yes - the grandchildren have one each in their lunch box.

Usually get eaten on the way to school.  If not before!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2005, 10:25:38 »
I've got Marketmore this year (freebie on some magazine).  I've never had any luck as I have to grow with cues.  I get plenty of leaf then the leaf gets mildew and any little cues that do form promptly shrivel and fall off!  I read on here I think I was that you shouldn't water the leaves so I'll be sure to remember that tip

I came, I saw, I composted

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2005, 11:15:46 »
Where & how & when are you growing them??
Don't expect a clever cure, but we can but try?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2005, 11:56:07 »
In a big pot on the patio (or I move them onto a border behind some trellis if the wind gets up).  the pot contains grobag compost>  they are put near my courgettes which are also in pots. 

I think the growbag compost could maybe do with mixing with something else as it dries out so quickly (I use the big plastic pots about 9 - 12") with one plant in each.  the courgettes do very well even when they get mildew on the leaves but the cucumbers never do anything.  I got one cucumber last year.

I would have thought there was plenty of air circulation around the plants

Any ideas Tim?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2005, 13:35:32 »
The compost is standard, so one problem might be the watering - as ever!

Cus like a lot, & I think dropping flowers might be a sign of that? Or severe chills. So when do they go outside?? We can't put ours into the cold 'house till the end of May.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2005, 15:25:22 »
It's very cold here as we are perched right at the top of a hill and get all the prevailing winds (brrrr) so we have to leave everything until late to put things outdoors.  It could be the watering though.  Maybe I don't give them enough.  I will try and water them more but not the leaves.  i think maybe I;ve been watering the leaves and it's run off without getting into the actual plants

Thank Tim for the advice.  Also like you say it is very cold up here so if I put them well away from any draught that might help.  We get lots of swirly winds.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2005, 15:46:44 »
Forgot your other point -

Other methods: Research at HDRA has shown that sodium bicarbonate can be helpful in controlling powdery mildew. Best results were obtained using between 2g and 10g per litre of water, mixed with 10g per litre of soft soap (which acts as a wetting agent). Higher concentrations of sodium bicarbonate (up to 20g per litre) were tried, with even better results, but this caused scorching to young leaves. Urine, diluted 1:2 or 1:4, has been found effective by H.D.R.A members. This has been reported in previous issues of H.D.R.A.

Resistant varieties: For Asters try hybrids of Aster novae-angliae and A. lateriflorus. Resistant varieties of rose include 'Queen Elisabeth' and 'National Trust'. Two apple varieties which have shown resistance to powdery mildew at Ryton are 'Redsleeves' and 'Worcester Pearmain'. Resistant varieties of peas, and other vegetables, can be found in The Organic Gardening Catalogue.

Moisture:  Drying at the roots weakens plants and encourages powdery mildew. A soil that is rich in organic matter will retain more moisture; mulching well will help reduce water loss. Water, when necessary, before the soil dries out. Plants at the base of a wall may be sheltered from rainfall and may need watering even during wet weather.

Doing nothing: Mildew on outdoor courgettes, cucumbers and pumpkins often occurs near the end of the season, so on these plants it may not affect production. On perennial plants, however, infected foliage must be removed as soon as it is detected, to ensure that the disease does not get a hold.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2005, 19:39:15 »
Very thorough Tim.  Thank you  :)

Mothy

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2005, 19:54:32 »
Tim,

In the past (a few years ago), we always bought a maximum of 2 cu's to grow in our small greenhouse. They were always seedling plants from the local GC and always got off to a strong start. Nearly always lost 1 or sometimes both. Just seemed to keel over and die very quickly despite a fair bit of healthy growth. We no longer have the greenhouse ;( but am keen to try them outside if possible.   

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2005, 20:17:15 »
Wardy - those, of course, were HDRA quotes.

Mothy - you have tried Burpee Hybrid - or whatever it's called - for outside?? Can't fail.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 07:18:12 by tim »

Mothy

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2005, 23:02:02 »
Tim,

Thanks to the info posted on here I've just bought some Suttons F1 Burpless Tasty Green which we will give a go outside this year.
Do you know if it's best to grow them up some sort of support or let them trail? I could buy some straw to use as a mulch if that would help?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2005, 07:17:03 »
Your choice.
Upwards certainly saves room, makes them easier to see  & minimises damage.

I'm too lazy.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal