Author Topic: Kaffir lime seeds wanted in return for other thai seeds  (Read 2828 times)

lizo85

• Not So New ...
Kaffir lime seeds wanted in return for other thai seeds
« on: October 19, 2012, 10:12:33 »
Hiya,

I am looking for some kaffir lime seeds to have a go at growing them (or a cutting if anyone has one I suppose, I haven't ever swapped for one before!).  I have in exchange the following:

- birds eye chilli seeds (very hot! a staple for thai cooking!)
- Thai aubergine (the ones for green/red curry)
- Sweet basil

I also have some more general flower seeds, some herbs and some perrennials if youre not interested in the above...

Thanks,

Liz

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Kaffir lime seeds wanted in return for other thai seeds
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 11:26:50 »
Dang - I just trimmed my Kaffir lime back a bit.  How easy is it to take a successful cutting from one as I am willing to give it a go if you think it is doable?
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

lizo85

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 11:36:41 »
Now I'm not so sure - just had a little google search and it doesn't seem like a particularly easy option!

Thank you for the offer, but I'm thinking now that I probably am not experienced enough to root a cutting!

x

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 14:39:40 »
Hi Liz,  When in Thailand in August  this year bought a baby kafir lime for £1.20 in the local market and brought it home in suitcase, also scrounged some Kafir limes to get the seed, got a load of seed but when dried have only four plump seeds the rest flat, so have two for you and two for me to try in the propagator in the spring, PM me your address and will pop them in the post to you, nothing wanted in exchange and no postage wanted either. Nick where do you keep your kafir lime in the winter, greenhouse or in the warm home?

lizo85

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 16:31:05 »
Petengade,

Thank you that is very kind of you!!

d**n I should have looked for a baby plant but would have been scared to bring it back!!  I'll PM my address, thanks! Please let me know if you change your mind about wanting any seeds.

I hate having to wait until next year to plant these seeds...I really want to get going with the chillis and other things!  Will just have to have some patience!  And I do have a propagator so will chuck it in with the chillis etc.

Thanks again,

Liz

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 16:56:06 »
I have bought mine indoors for the last two winters and it seems to do OK - I have been worried as it is my first attempt at anything citrus related.  Thought I may get leaf drop but I have it in a sunny position and so far so good.  I do have a small poly tunnel in the garden but it gets too cold in there.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 13:22:56 »
Posted yesterday Liz, hope they germinate. drilled two holes in cardboad put seed in and sellotaped up as I posted seed to cyprus before, seed dust arrived crushed by machine at post office, didnt think nesesary for padded envelope for a dozen seeds. Thanks Nick will put baby Kafir in house.

lizo85

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 11:47:04 »
Thanks Petengade, received the seeds yesterday safe and sound!  Looking forward to planting them in the new year and will keep you posted on their progress!!!
Thanks again!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal