Author Topic: How to get rid of phygelius (cape figwort)  (Read 3906 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
How to get rid of phygelius (cape figwort)
« on: October 07, 2012, 14:47:21 »
This used to be one of my favourite plants, but it has now become very invasive in my garden and despite trying to dig it out, it keeps coming back, growing up between paving stones and spreading its roots through my flowerbeds.  I don't normally use weedkillers but I think this may be the only way to get rid of it. What would anyone suggest?

ACE

• Hectare
Re: How to get rid of phygelius (cape figwort)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 09:09:20 »
When I first moved in this house, 10 years ago there was an infestation of this plant. I found the only way was to keep digging it up, as weekiller would not have reached the far ends of the wandering roots. It still shows is head when I am not looking. I should think that planting it in  sunken buckets might help if you like to keep the odd plant.

Keep it away from walls as the roots spread like bindweed and I have seen in one case it spread through the cavity and emerge from an airbrick.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 20:05:23 »
I just had to go and look this up . It looks so lovely , the kind of thing I might be tempted to buy . Thanks for letting us know how it spreads ! Eeek !
Trespassers will be composted !

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 20:28:13 »
Thanks for the info, Ace. I've got a few plants in the same bed that need dividing and rejuvenating, so I'll take the opportunity to have a really good dig! Might even get OH involved, as digging stuff out seems to be the only gardening task he enjoys!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 18:18:58 »
I thought I'd got rid of it...and I didn't see it for about 5 years and it's just reappeared in most of the colours I had originally  :BangHead:

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 12:47:32 »
I used to have three or four varieties in different colours but mine all died.  It is probably too cold for them where I live on the edge of Salisbury Plain.  It is also very chalky too. 

To think that you have all been pulling them up whereas I have had difficulty getting them to survive!  I think I paid about £6.99 for each plant too :sad1:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal