Author Topic: What’s done well for you?  (Read 3075 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: What’s done well for you?
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 10:27:37 »
It has been a very good year for peas and lettuces, ok for beans but they were very late - greenhouse tomatoes were ok too.  Second sowing of carrots are good, parsnips no germination at all.  Achocha are still going strong outside on frost damaged plants!   Cucumbers and squashes fairly poor.  Courgettes a little better but no gluts.  There were unexplained losses in the potato bed - my guess is that they must have rotted when we were flooded.  About 5 pounds of scabby apples from all of our trees, with the exception of 3 pounds of first class Egremont Russets, which love rainy weather!  Pears and plums little better.  Blackberries very good.

Now I need a recipe for blackberry filled achocha on a bed of lettuce  !?!   :laughing6:

marcofez

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 10:50:33 »
Most leafy plants did well. Cabbages, broccoli but brussels seem to be suffering from all the rain. Still cutting lettuce leaves and chard. Earlibird sweetcorn did well, lots of water and whatever sunshine was about did the trick! :icon_cheers: Onions and garlic ok. French beans were good but runners ok ish. Hit & miss with courgettes and squash plants
Spuds, carrots, toms, caulis not so good.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 18:25:23 »
Most of my apples have done well, though the Bramley's hasn't produced anything. I suspect it's got biennial bearing coming on, and will need thinning next year. The plums were a dead loss as it was too cold when they flowered.

pumkinlover

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 18:40:34 »
Red cabbage, first time I have ever had a good crop.
Tomatoes in the greenhouse, loads of unripe chillis. Sweetcorn.
Pumpkins and squashes. Parsnips and leeks look good.

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 20:25:06 »
Broad Beans. Didn't seem to care that they were actually growing on flooded land and produced best ever crop. Apples seem great - just started picking Cox's. Also French Beans were terrific but had to kept in cloches in July and climbing French beans were best ever.

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 20:30:27 »
.... Oh and also tomatoes, Tigerella grown in a greenhouse. Still got a few and had to reduce the number of plants as it was too much for us. Quickly abandonned growing outside as this was never going to work

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal