Author Topic: Eglu not being used.  (Read 3090 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Eglu not being used.
« on: October 15, 2012, 14:43:47 »
Has anyone with an Eglu had problems getting their girls to use it? Our girls were perching in the run before we put the Eglu up but OH is fretting :sad10:. I have spoken to an expert so I'm not worried just curious as to whether it's a problem with Eglus. They do use it to lay eggs. I really want to shut him up :drunken_smilie:.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Eglu not being used.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 15:35:24 »
We don't have an Eglu, but we do have a variety of other housing.  Chickens are often nervous of new surroundings.  When we move them to new accommodation, we try to put them into the house in the evening, and shut them in overnight.  Open the door in the morning, and they'll (usually) have got the idea that the house is where they are supposed to sleep, and will return to it the following evening.

Or is your problem more long lasting then that?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 00:21:05 »
Or is your problem more long lasting then that?

Her girls have been bit 'confused' for some time now..they've got mind of their own for the sleeping and laying arrangements  :tongue3:
You can still try and see if they 'get it' by locking them up for the night bit earlier and letting them out bit later in the morning for few nights in the row. By not giving them other options they might change their minds...or when the weather gets too cold and they stop laying altogether, they just might think their options of 'arrangements' differently.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 06:46:48 »
We got an eglu cube for Mum and a couple of new chooks. They were placed in the cube when they arrived though they were quite quick to come out and explore there surroundings. The first evening they needed a hand to get upstairs, since then they go to bed no problems at all. The older couple of girls when introduced used the cube, no hesitation. Might be worth you persevering with putting them to bed and shutting them in overnight for a while until they get the message. 
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 07:57:59 »
The Eglu Cube has quite a long, steep ladder, doesn't it?  I can imagine large fowl being a bit leary of it.  That might contribute to their reluctance.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 18:21:04 »
Thank you for you replies & advice. I thought I would give you an amusing update/

Yesterday OH concocted a sort of ladder for them but we decided we would 'put them to bed' last night & OH let them out this morning. Today he wasn't happy so built a new ladder for them. I could hear him sawing & drilling while I was dashing away with the smoothing iron :icon_cheers:. While I was getting tea ready we were watching them, all six flew into the eglu. Result I think :icon_cheers:. OH informed me that they will use the new ladder in the morning when they come out for the day :drunken_smilie:.
He is a good boy really.

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 19:11:46 »
 :toothy10: :toothy10: :toothy10:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 05:14:46 »
 :icon_cheers:..for the chickens....and for OH bonus for trying ( at least all that hammering and sawing kept him from mischief for the day)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 08:58:33 »
Ha ha aha , hens are just not logical.
It reminds me of when i first got my girls, night one outside the coop after a week inside, they roosted on top of the coop and in the tree behind it and had to be retrieved. night two i had to chase them all to put them in not very restful at all then gradually the two bright girls got it- my dim hen Bianca continued to fly at the high opening for weeks the other two would come out squkwark at her show her how to walk up the ladder then wait at the top for her ,then come back down and do it again and again and she still didn't get it. - it took three weeks for the dim bird to figure it out for herself. But the new chicks just learn it from mum and follow her and never have to get used to a new ramp.
Good luck
I'm sure that they will get it in the end.
x Sunloving

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal