Author Topic: Lots of regrowth!!  (Read 1285 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Lots of regrowth!!
« on: October 15, 2012, 10:50:35 »
Dunno if everyone else has this, but after 2 weeks of rain, I went down the lotty yesterday to rescue the last spuds and get the squash, and I was amazed at the difference in everything! September had been bone dry so most of my late sowings had just been hopeless and I gave most of it up as a bad joke. Suddenly the leeks and brassica have shot up, the lettuces I had given up for dead suddenly are healthy little plants that I could plant out, the pak choy reappeared and the chines cabbage were big enough to plant on. Radish were huge and delicious (we ate them all!) and the swiss chard gave me a sweet bunch of stems for a stry fry.
I also had mmm how do you say that, purslane? That little salad green that grows down at ground level, and some self seeded rocket. That made a lovely salad last night!
To top it all off, the nasturtiums have burst back to life, so instead of weeds the plot is covered with pretty baby nasturtiums (which will just rot away when the frosts hit).
has anyone else had a surprising burst of autumnal growth like that?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Lots of regrowth!!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 11:02:42 »
Dunno if everyone else has this,

has anyone else had a surprising burst of autumnal growth like that?

That's lovely - an Indian summer to make up for some of the shortcomings of this growing season!

I'm afraid not here, too dull and dark for much growing.  September here was damp enough and my carrots and squashes did some good, but now it is just too late and we had our first bits of frost too - not a total freeze, just the more prone places in the garden.

The only thing that is really still going great guns is achocha - on plants that are frosted and blackened on the surface!  And the greenhouse tomatoes are still producing too.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 12:02:54 »
Waaaah I tried sowing Achocca but it didn't take. Maybe I should have started in pots.
Things is, it has been quite cool, but no frosts yet. I will fleece the lettuces soon.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 18:36:42 »
I had a sudden burst of calabrese last week, but it's been freezing since so it was short-lived!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal