Author Topic: Bl***dy Vandals !!  (Read 9576 times)

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
Re: Bl***dy Vandals !!
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2005, 20:47:50 »
Some years ago I remember reading an article in the Yorkshire Post about an elderly allotment holder taking the law into his own hands, and keeping a night watch on his plot, after many break ins, and no help from the police. Well one night he was in his shed armed with a 410 shot gun when someone broke in, and got a nasty shock, and some pellets in the backside,. The police were very interested then, and you guessed it, arrested the old chap, and put him through all the stress of a court trial, and eventually fined him quite a large sum. The really nice thing that happened next was that thousands of pounds came rolling in from members of the public who sympathised with him, and he replaced all his old tools with brand new stuff, and had a nice holiday too!
There are some nice people left, and we need to stick together.

Brian

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2005, 21:23:06 »
I was thinking about the power supply for a pc and webcam that would need a friendly neighbour. Or in some situations this may not be a problem. I know people who like to keep a cam pointing at their cars.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2005, 07:53:54 »
With the help of your Association !!

Why not try the
National Association of Allotement and Leisure Gardeners

National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners

NSALG.   Hope that this might Help

Mike
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2005, 08:56:47 »
Mike

I am attending a user group meeting this morning where this issue will certainly be raised...yet again.

Our particular plot has only two houses anywhere near the site and therefore the web-cam idea wouldn't be a viable option.

I will contact Paul Howgill of NASLG he is the area secretary and works out of Leicester, lets see what he has to say.

Thanks for your suggestions

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2005, 09:15:37 »
My allotment is next to a builder's house and he has the fiercest dog in the world so I'm hoping not to get any problems with any vandals.  Oooer I hope that fence holds.   It's a GSD and it's as angry as hell (not sure why).  They had a second guard dog and I'd not seen it for a bit so asked where it was.  I was told the first dog had killed it! :o :o   Still, no vandals though  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2005, 10:18:00 »
We very rarely have vandals/break ins but had two recently. I decided to investigate improvements to security and found, unsurprisingly, that anything effective is prohibitively expensive.

Options - reactive lighting. Installing mains electricity starts at about £600 befoe you've run cable or installed anything but a metre.
PIR beams without mains electricity - Costs about £800 to cover a 100 yd line. You'd have to power it by car battery or solar bpanel and attachn to a mobile phone to alert someone if tripped.
Improving fencing is a waste of time. Given half an hour, prison grade welded mesh fencing is no obstacle ( according to crime prevention officer ).
You could alarm your own shed ( again with a car battery and mobile phone ) at a reasonable cost, but multiplied by all plots it becomes a ludicrous amount of money.
The only real answer we've come up with is to get electricity installed with reactive lights and to organise thorn hedging on the perimetre where possible. Natural defences are probably the best as we never seem to get broken into where there's thorn or blackberry hedging.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2005, 10:53:47 »
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 21:20:11 by GREENWIZARD »
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2005, 16:43:42 »
I like it  ;D  ;D
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2005, 19:17:42 »
Brilliant I thought and so Typical ;)

Well done 8)
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal