Author Topic: sowing broad beans to overwinter is it worth it?  (Read 6805 times)

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
Re: sowing broad beans to overwinter is it worth it?
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 14:36:00 »
I was thinking about having ago at planting some broad beans out this winter as we have had such a rubbish crop of veg this year off the allotment due to flooding and the bad weather I thought I would maybe start early this year and then get a real head start for next year. I then thought to myself is it really worth it because we have a big mouse problem and I know as soon as the beans go in the mice will be munching there way through them. What I 'might' do is to plant them in paper pots then when they have germinated just bung them on the plot this might get over the mouse problem but then we have the weather so I will need to find a way to protect them.

Who said growing veg was easy  :tongue3:
Be kind to slugs and snails!

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 22:04:24 »
I only just read this one, and it surprised me how few people seem to be in favour. I lost all but about 6 winter before last, but apart from then they've always been well worth while. I grow four varieties, but unfortunately have no idea what they are.  I've been saving the seed for several years, and one variety came from my mother who's been gone 11 years now. Anyway, first sowing is about now, second in Feb, then another in March and the last in April. Bumper crops this year, which can't be said for some of the other beans. I'm in Sheffield, on rather heavy soil. If the sun shines, I shall sow some tomorrow. Mine all go directly into the soil.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 18:55:58 »
Where's the water table on your plot? I suffer from waterlogging, and I think it's that which makes the difference. I've seen them sit happily through a cold dry winter, then die in a mild wet spell in early spring.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 21:05:12 »
I've been growing 'white-seeded' aquadulce for years both just before and just after winter and I would say do both.

They are tough and hardy so the biggest problem for me is blackfly - and usually they only massacre ONE of the sowings - but you never know which one it will be.

In late March/early April I sow some green-seeded varieties because they are so much nicer even with their skins on.

Cheers
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal