Author Topic: Question about forcing sluggish FIGS to RIPEN  (Read 8390 times)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Re: Question about forcing sluggish FIGS to RIPEN
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 17:58:36 »
I used to think Perry Barr was very posh when I lived around there (Lozells, Six Ways Aston, Soho Road).  I don't mind bringing stuff over on the bus - it will be an interesting exercise.  What about some cat food for you friends?  I am busy reading up about figs.   Do you know when to plant them - as Webbs in Bearwood told me they had sold out.  Will PM you to arrange a convenient time.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 19:41:33 »
A Report Back on Removing Leaves from Figs to Speed Ripening:

We just had our first frost.

There seems to be no difference in the figs on the trees with leaves removed compared to the figs on trees with leaves. None are ripe. I should not have let these new trees bear figs at all their first year,
but I give them an A+ for effort.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 18:58:07 »
I've had good results in both spring and autumn by putting a plastic bag over fruits that look as if they are full size and only a few good days away from ripening.

This way they ripen in half the time when the weather stays constant and you still have a good chance of getting them in a week if the weather is poorer than expected.

Sorry to be so late with this advice - the only people who might benefit before next spring are growers in Cornwall - or maybe for figs in polytunnels...

NB. In Spring it's worth putting a hole in the lowest part of the bag or unexpected good weather can create so much condensation that the fig drowns (on TV the bush-tucker man got a drink from a tree doing this on a larger scale).

It also gives some protection against birds - though if they do peck through then the fruit rots even quicker than it would unprotected.

You really have to check them every other day unless the weather's rubbish.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 23:18:20 »
I tried a plastic bag on our potted tree, both to hurry the ripening and to dissuade squirrels. It seemed to work.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal