Author Topic: Cutting back  (Read 2017 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Cutting back
« on: October 02, 2012, 17:19:37 »
Have decided that next year my allotment will look more than an allotment, than a messy garden.  Some things have to go.  Planted a Xmas tree from a pot, and now it is looking sad and too big, so will probably go on the bonfire.  Poor tree (maybe give it another year, no big to bring home for Xmas).  My strawberry bed is full of marestail and weeds, so that will be dug over as the few strawberry plants I moved seem to like their new bed.  The old blackcurrant and redcurrant bushes are having a big chop, and the fig tree a big chop, loads of figs, but too small and none ripe.  The raspberries are taking over (I am fed up with raspberry jam and freezer full of raspberries, but at least next door have taken some).  Never thought I could have too many raspberries.  Think it is time for a big bonfire, and get OH up with the cultivator. Memo to myself, do not plant overspill from the garden, but I can't bear to bin anything.  Must never plant that pampas grass again, and the small fir tree from a hanging basket that grew over 6 feet tall.  I have all the plans in my head, now I get need a bit of 'get up and dig'.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: Cutting back
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 19:08:54 »
Be careful, dont be putting off today what you are not going to do tomorrow.
Weeds i dont have a problem with its stopping collecting stuff that might come in handy. Worked ok with the long haired general tho
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 00:58:08 »
I reckon, having done it many times, that trying to save Christmas trees is a forlorn hope. They always look pitiful and straggly. Better to have them chipped.

schmelda

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 08:27:02 »
We managed to use our pot grown one three years in a row.  I repotted it the first year, and then left it to it.  It got a bit dry earlier this year, and went a bit brown.  There has been a lot of new growth since.  I don't think it will manage this Christmas, but there's no reason why it could do next year (though by then we might have another tree!).

I think the trick was to buy a pot grown one.  If they've been dug up and crammed into a pot they never do so well. I believe they trim the roots to make them fit, and they never seem to survive the summer.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 09:40:16 »
I am with you on this one.
Got to get out those excess rasperries that are just complete thugs. You guys have convinced me not to bin the gooseberries but they will get a trim as I am sick of being scratched to b**ery.
I ripped out the Italian type artichokes as they were just nasty, and I have 3 Breton ones so that will do.
I really must do all the maintenance jos over winter, so that in spring I can concentrate on the planting. I was slack last year and this season it really showed :(
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 14:49:05 »
Breton artichokes? Tell me more. I have a friend living in Brittany who comes over once in a while and I had been pondering whether to try globe artichokes for the first time.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal