Author Topic: ex batts  (Read 2097 times)

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
ex batts
« on: September 22, 2012, 23:48:33 »
We bought 20 ex batts 5 months ago and are now only getting 5/6 eggs a day. Is this normal for this time of year as its getting darker or shall i get some new ones? We was told they were approx 18 months old.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: ex batts
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 01:00:45 »
Suppliers usually get rid of layers after 12-18 months of laying because they are past their best and productivity declines as time goes by.  Hens do lay less in winter due to reduced light and colder temperatures.  Chances of you getting 15-20 eggs daily have probably long gone.  I usually get 2 seasons of hens laying eggs then they go the journey and are replaced as my hens for productivity and not pets.  If you want egg production then I would recommend replacing the stock.  I have had Black rocks which were ok as layers but white leghorns laid more.  The ISA browns I have presently lay around 8-10 daily from 12 hens.  After next season I will be trying coral nicks as they are supposed to lay the most eggs per year.. up to 355.

http://www.glencroftpoultry.co.uk/hen_house.htm

All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 09:54:39 »
Yes..'older' girls do lay less eggs coming to later on the year. Mine are now moulting and stopped laying altogether and don't expect them starting until Feb/March time.
If yours have full feather covering now and they don't moult, I suspect you keep getting some amount egss throughout the winter, but once the spring is in full swing, they will lay more eggs than you can handle.
You could 'force' them laying with lighting..but really it would be best that your girls will take it naturally..there is reason for winter 'break' and it is for them to able to catch up with their 'health' and get into better condition..being ex batts, they propably need it too.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 14:18:20 »
I agree with Goodlife, it is moulting time now and i find that during it if i feed the hens protien they continue to lay but if they get the same food they go off lay for 3 weeks or so and then you might get a few soft shelled eggs when they start up again.

My four year old sussex still lays an egg a day so i wouldnt be giving up on 2-3 year old hens just yet. But try a bit of soaked dog dry food or mealworms and check that they all are free of mites/worms and if you have them in your hands you can have look at the new feathers. and check that they are plump ladies.

goodluck
x sunloving

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal