Author Topic: Quince  (Read 2319 times)

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
Quince
« on: September 22, 2012, 03:25:41 »
Anyone grow quince. we  have a nice shaped small quince tree in the garden , we grew it from a pip many years ago.... We get a wonderful amount of pinkish blossoms on the tree, it also fruits, but my goodness are the fruits hard little devils to peel.
The strange thing about these Canadian grown quince is the fruits do not have the perfume or the taste of the English ones. Where in England a part of one quince would enhance an apple tree, here I make a whole pie of quince.
Different but very nice....... qahtan

pumkinlover

Re: Quince
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 07:45:12 »
I grow it but only once have I got a good crop.
I have mainly used it to make a jelly, never made a pie. I understand that you leave them till soft, but in our climate I find the fruit has often split so cannot keep that well.
Last year I planted a chaenomeles as well as I read that this mix was nice. It has not fruited yet so I do not know.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 10:13:47 »
We have a quince tree, now at the end of its third year, but it hasn't fruited yet.

When be buy quinces, they can normally be quartered with a large sharp kinfe, then the quarters peeled and cored without too much difficulty.  If they're really hard, try softening them in the microwave.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 11:52:45 »
I would never try to peel quince, you'll have your fingers off! Scrub and wash and precook and take off the skin when it's cooked.  then again I have never heard of them used in pies, only jams jellies and preserves.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

qahtan

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 17:44:02 »
They do make a delicious pie, but to do this you have to treat them like apples, peel core and dice into bite size piece's.
When do you reckon to pick them in UK, here it is October.
    Qatar

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 18:20:30 »
I've just had to dig mine out... a Meeches Polific.. it got some kind of bacterial canker and the leaves would go brown and drop. It has done it for three years so it had to go. The fruit never ripened/softened but kept well in the shed...

qahtan

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 18:34:39 »
this was some of last years crop.. this year they don't look as good... g
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/qahtan/102_0707_zps1c154de1.jpg

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 18:45:32 »
I've very few and they are a lot smaller.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 11:39:40 »
It has done it for three years so it had to go. The fruit never ripened/softened but kept well in the shed...
Again in my experience with French quinces, they never soften... but when ripe they become a deep golden colour and they develop a very notceable perfume, a very rich sweet odour. Even ripe they are rock hard. They make a lovely fruit cheese mixed with apple!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 22:15:36 »
I have had a Japanese quince for 35yrs. and manage to make I jar of quince jelly each year - exquisite!
A bit fiddly to deseed/quarter but it's worth it.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 23:41:57 »
I have had a Japanese quince for 35yrs. and manage to make I jar of quince jelly each year - exquisite!
A bit fiddly to deseed/quarter but it's worth it.

Hi Telboy - I'm confused why you de-seeded if you were making Jelly.. I just cut the bigger ones in quarters and the rest in half... add to the pot and water to just cover... cook for ages till all soft, mash a bit and then strain through the jelly bag.. The seeds add to the pectin.  The bushes I get my fruits from give me loads of  jars of jelly last year..
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 23:43:45 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal