Author Topic: potato rot  (Read 2448 times)

small

• Hectare
potato rot
« on: August 31, 2012, 15:29:18 »
I thought I had quite a nice crop of Charlotte potatoes, which I lifted about 3 weeks ago and stored in a paper sack in a dark cool place. I took 2 apparently sound tubers out yesterday, and both had a huge hole in the centre. Internet search seems to indicte Fusarium dry rot, but there was no evidence on the outside at all, it was as if the centre had just mummified - no smell, just a black hole. So disappointing! Can anyone confirm this diagnosis, or have any other ideas?

planetearth

• Quarter Acre
Re: potato rot
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 09:57:15 »
It's Potato Hollow Heart.  Caused by overwatering (almost certainly rain).  I had exacly the same problem, you will notice that only large tubers, because they have grown too quickly are affected.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 11:15:00 »
Thanks Planetearth, and to the person who pm'd me - sounds exactly right, and how heartbreaking. Next year I think I will stick to just first earlies and PFA's.

RolloP

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 12:21:39 »
 Hollow Heart is a physiological disorder of potatoes, i.e. there is no pathogen involved. Some potato varieties are more susceptible than others, but when conditions are right , no variety seems entirely unaffected.
 Various factors can cause the problem:- Susceptible variety, low soil temperatures at tuber initiation, high soil moisture, wide planting (therebye encouraging larger tubers), excess nitrogen application late in the season, growing in acidic soils, low potassium in soils.
  So the main factors to control in order to minimise the problem reoccurring are :- Change variety ( if HH regularly occurs), closer planting, ensure a soil PH around 6 is maintained, adequate potassium levels in the soil and delay planting areas that are wet and have low soil temperatures in spring.
  There is not much that can be done about weather conditions, but this year seems to have been ideal for problems in potatoes. Slugs,blight and now Hollow Heart.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 21:46:30 »
Had it on some of my Lady Chrystls earlier in the year too....

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 21:54:02 »
Thanks Planetearth, and to the person who pm'd me - sounds exactly right, and how heartbreaking. Next year I think I will stick to just first earlies and PFA's.

When planning for next year, just remember quite how unbelievably bad this year's weather has been for gardening!

IMO one of the best bits of gardening advice is to be optimistic ... in a good year it will work and you can take all the credit - and in a bad year it won't work so well and you can learn lots about how to maximise what you can get from the conditions by recognising when to harvest early or intervene at the right time.

Cheers

Squeezy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal