Author Topic: planning greenhouse for next year - advice needed  (Read 2271 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
planning greenhouse for next year - advice needed
« on: September 06, 2012, 17:50:52 »
I have had a small greenhouse on my lottie for two years now. I dont think I am using it to best advantage and would like some help with planning for next year please. I cant get up there during the week much at all, only at weekends so am limited but have got a watering system.

First year, did peppers and tomatoes, tomatoes got blight, peppers ok.
Second year (this one) tried soya beans one side and melons the other. Soy beans very small and not worth it, melons - havent got hang of polinating them and so lovely plants but no melons! I did try with a paint brush but no luck.

Any suggestions please?

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
Re: planning greenhouse for next year - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 21:35:57 »

I've got a spare bunny tail you can have. . . 8)

I would grow everything earlier.

Cheers,     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 07:37:59 »
I find that melons are very thirsty and like to be together for pollonation and respond to a feed with blood fish and bone. This year every plant i grew had at least one big melon which was fantastic. I put them away from the door and out of the draft but on warm days kept the door open to let the bees in to pollonate them.

Tomatoes are such a fab crop to grow that i urge you to have another go. Blight cant really be avoided but it dosnt take hold every year and its a risk worth taking for such a tastey useful harvest. I grow cucumbers upwards and then down the ridge of the gh which saves a lot of growing space but this doesnt work with the melons due to the contact with cold glass at night.

In the winter i grow salads and peas indoors and of course over winter lots of things in pots. Im sure that in this section there are lots of folks tales about what they grow in thier tunnels/ghs so it would be worth doing a scan through the threads.
Good luck
x sunloving

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 20:24:33 »
I am not going to bother growing anything in my greenhouse but tomatoes as the results were great. Three plants gave more than enough for the two of us. Pulled up all the plants growing outside as they were doing nothing.

I have tried other plants in the greenhouse but either they gave too too much (cucumbers) or nothing at all (melons)

Try again with toms.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal