Author Topic: My New Plot  (Read 5310 times)

green lily

• Hectare
Re: My New Plot
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 20:35:42 »
I have gravel instead of grass and EVERYTHING grows in and on it, from cowslips to yew and oak trees... But security will be an issue for you so go for the a thick hedge that keeps everything out of sight... :thumbsup:

small

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 22:22:44 »
So glad you have somewhere to grow again. Good luck.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 06:54:57 »
Thanks all for the encouragement.  I'm a bit worried it's more stone that soil so I'm encouraged that some of you have similar soil and manage OK.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

pumkinlover

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 08:15:23 »
On the plus side you will not have any of the diseases that most of us have to cope with on land that has been used as allotmetns for years :happy7:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 08:56:07 »
We are on farm land and the diseases did not take long to arrive.  And I bet there are a lot of slugs in those weeds.   

Peas and sweetcorn can create a visual barrier pretty quickly. 

I personally would not waste time sieving out stones.  Those who did here are not doing any better than those who did not.  I put recycled compost in narrow strips on top of the soil to give small seeds something to get their first roots into and believe also that it helps keep them moist for those all important first few days.  Though plants grown in modules do get away better particularly brassicas.  But stones or no stones my psb grow 4-5 ft tall or more, my beans are dripping from the plants etc etc.  My parsnips are huge though may not win prizes.  I do not do OK I have been doing very well.

But what about availability of water?  Stoney soils can be rather too well drained.   Also is it liable to be flooded?

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 09:44:17 »
Enjoy! I couldn't handle the work of starting from scratch again!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 21:36:14 »
Pleased to se you have a new plot after all you've had to deal with.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal