Author Topic: Bright Idea Against Vine Weevil.  (Read 18764 times)

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Bright Idea Against Vine Weevil.
« on: September 16, 2012, 22:20:30 »
I'm sure we all know the heartbreak feeling when we find our fuschia, cyclamen and vine plants are rendered useless by vine weevil grubs.

The vine weevil killers on the market whether based on nematodes or otherwise are incredibly expensive and need continuing applications during the year.

This year I tried drowning them by immersing a young potted grape vine in a bucket of water for 36 hours which has seemed to do the trick.

But next year what about a layer of enviromesh laid on the compost surface held down or pegged in some way. Would a physical barrier like that that stop the vine weevil adult from being able to lay it's eggs into the compost? Stones or gravel placed on top of the environmesh (or fleece?) could disguise the mesh and water would be able to drain through it.

Also when potting on plants a piece of envoronmesh could be laid over the drainage hole to thwart woodlice.

What do people think? Is it a good idea or can you see any potential problems?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 22:24:19 by ed dibbles »

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Bright Idea Against Vine Weevil.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 09:43:38 »
The mesh might deter them from the top of the pot, but the sneaky little buggers will just get in the pot from the holes in the bottom. The beetles lay their eggs nearby and it is the grubs that crawl into the pots. They do say that peat free compost helps keeping them down a bit, but most of the cheaper peat free composts are not really up to the job.

When I am potting on I have to check the root system on our show plants, it does not hurt the roots to tease them out a bit and you get a better plant. This uses a lot more compost, but I also spread the compost that has been shaken off the roots on a tarp and let the birds pick it over, then bung a bit of slow release plant food granules in it ready to use again. If you are only doing a few plants it is not worth the bother but as my potting on can be a few hundred plants sometimes, it works for me.

Re-using old flower pots can cause problems as well, get a cheap wallpaper steamer with a nozzle and sterilise your old pots with it.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 10:00:20 »
The kind of barrier used for protecting Cabbage plants etc. from root flies works for single stem plants against Vine Weevils. Been doing that for many years. A circle of plastic with a small hole for the stem and a few tiny holes for watering works well too.
Have to say in the last 30 years I have never seen grubs crawling into a pot through the drainage hole. I cover the drainage hole in a clay pot with Aluminium mesh (the kind used for car body repair).
The weevil lays its eggs on the soil round the stem of a plant so very deep mulch of grit should stop it, but it does need to be at least 2 inches deep.
Gardening is the great leveller.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 14:33:32 »

Have to say in the last 30 years I have never seen grubs crawling into a pot through the drainage hole.

Do you know, neither have I. Perhaps they do it at night when nobody is around. There you go ed a solution is found, just watch them going into the pot, top or bottom and squidge them before they do any damage.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 16:46:45 »
There you are, that's one's night time viewing sorted. Sit and watch V.W. grubs a crawling. Probably no less boring than TV.
Gardening is the great leveller.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 19:02:19 »
So the barrier method could be worthwile to try. I too thought that they only laid their eggs on the surface of the compost but can as easily see how determined adults could use drainage holes. After all they fall to the ground when dusturbed we are told.

A barrier method would also solve the suggested night time manouvers with a torch. :happy11:

Since I now have so many grape plants/varieties I have no choice but to attempt growing them in pots so need to think of a cheap way to thwart vine weevils.

If successful I may even begin growing standard fuschias again. :icon_sunny:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 19:06:49 by ed dibbles »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 19:28:09 »
There are certain commercial mixtures you can dose the pots with but I would be very wary with edibles like grapes. Centipedes are good if you come across any while gardening, gently rehouse them in your big pots.  They may not stay about long but worth a try just in case they do set up home in your grapevine pots.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 09:27:25 »
Thanks all some great suggestions. Good to find out about others experiences with those wicked grubs.

I've heard about laying out the grub filled compost for the birds and often thought about trying it. Saw Monty Don using the nematodes for VW on Gardeners World this week. He didn't mention the cost of course.

I'll try the barrrier method first and see how I get on.

Thanks again all. :happy11:

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 15:56:52 »
I always use the drowning method for strawberry pots - mainly because it saves all that effort you put in to get your column of gravel working so you can top-water the whole pot.

If you have the largest pots you might need to buy a plastic dustbin to make a big enough drowning pool - I use mine to store prunings in most of the year (while they become "woodchip") - or you can buy one of those big tubs with rope handles that have dozens of occasional uses.

The strawberries will happily survive 36 hours or more under water.

In experiments with vine weevils in a jam jar I've found them all dead after 12 hours - but it probably depends on the oxygen content of the water so 36 is safe.

With sensible shaped pots (tapered) it can be therapeutic to get the rootball out and see the buggers die - but if you use the drowning method it's guaranteed - and being tiny and hiding won't protect them.

Cheers.

PS. if you do have dodgy compost then microwaving it for 10min will kill everything (I try to get the centipedes and worms out - especially as I seldom find vine weevil in with centipedes). I used to use empty washing powder cartons but now I use much bigger microwave containers from 99p shops.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 08:42:19 »
Like the drowning idea, Vinlander.

How smelly is using the microwave?  Guess that kills all the 'good guys' as well.   :wave:

ed dibbles

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 13:34:35 »
I now do the drowning method as it is easier, cheaper and more effective than the barrier method as first espoused.

It needs to be done at the right time though. Late enough for the vine weevil grubs to be eradicated but not too early for another bout of egg laying to occur. Mid august to mid September is about right.

Fuschia growing is back after some years of giving up due to the VWs root activity. Likewise container lily growing but with them they are regularly sprayed with provado every few days during the growing season to prevent lily beetle. It also helps against adult vine weevils although they also get a post bloom container submersion to make sure.

Drowning is definitely the way to prevent the vine weevil's devastating effects. :happy7:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 13:47:36 »
I'm with the drowning method.

As a suggestion I would add a drop of Jeyes fluid into the water and this would permeate around the root system thus make the roots smell less attractive and palatable to the grubs.

I use a similar method as this when I plant my brassicas to deter root fly which is similar situation i e fly/grubs.

Word of warning don't over do the jeyes fluid on indoor pants or else you might deterred too.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 17:10:47 »
I'm with the drowning method.

As a suggestion I would add a drop of Jeyes fluid into the water and this would permeate around the root system thus make the roots smell less attractive and palatable to the grubs.

I use a similar method as this when I plant my brassicas to deter root fly which is similar situation i e fly/grubs.

Word of warning don't over do the jeyes fluid on indoor pants or else you might deterred too.
whats the dilution for root fly tg think i might give it a try this year im plagued  by them
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 18:11:54 »

what's the dilution for root fly tg think i might give it a try this year i'm plagued  by them

Armillotox also doubles up as a club root deterrent,and I also get the feeling it deters the Cabbage white also.

I use one measure (25ml) per 2 galls(10 litres) of water and that seems to do the trick.

see here;http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Brassica%20planting/brassica%20planting.html

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 19:15:22 »
A grower friend informs that the natural predatory ground beetles, which could control(eat!) the vine weevils , cannot climb the shiny outside of plastic pots but the weevil do, due to having hooks on their legs.He lays pots flat overnight, allowing access to beetles, doing a long row per night. Reports favourable results.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 22:06:26 »
Like the drowning idea, Vinlander.

How smelly is using the microwave?  Guess that kills all the 'good guys' as well.   :wave:

I try to make sure the only good guys left are microbes and fungi - a small price to pay for killing weevils, slugs, their eggs and fungus gnats etc.

Funnily enough I've never had much smell from soil-less composts (allowed me to get away with secretly using the kitchen microwave until I found my own in the street).

Any significant soil content will brew up a stink - I don't know why, but it doesn't bother me now I've got my own gardening microwave. One thing I do know is that nothing in any normal soil mix ever goes 'bang' (including gravel, stones etc.). I'm always fairly vigilant against foil - quite a lot of oxo wrappers try to sneak into the compost bin...

I'd like to thank all microwave donors across the UK but also remind them to put something over the box to stop rain getting into the grilles on top... a bit of plastic or hardboard or plywood is fine.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal