Author Topic: Albino beetroot  (Read 1936 times)

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Albino beetroot
« on: September 04, 2012, 00:43:38 »
I've got 5m of albino beetroot in the ground, at various stages. Early indications are that Mrs doesn't like it, the inlaws don't like it and I don't like it. It just isn't beetrooty enough. I wish I'd just sown Boltardy.

Any ideas on how to cook it up to taste better? Tried roasting, boiling and grated raw so far.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Albino beetroot
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 09:22:49 »
I agree with you Gordon. I grew it one year and was really dissapointed with the flavour, texture and lack of redness ::) Luckily I always grow bolthardy each year.

When I prepare my beets for a salad I make a balsamic dressing and let the chopped or sliced beetroot sit in it for a while. If you mix it with some of the white stuff it helps. I have to admit that I put most of my whites on the compost heap.

I like golden beetroot ..much nicer than the white.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Re: Albino beetroot
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 21:48:29 »
Cheers, Duke. Almost out of boltardy, just 2 stragglers left in the ground, so "cutting" the white is not really much of an option. Thinking about it, I'd rather not "contaminate" my last couple of good beets. I've ordered golden for next year but I'll be sowing a lot more boltardy just in case.

I wonder if rabbits would eat it, I've got a mate with some.  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal