Author Topic: Pumpkins  (Read 1786 times)

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
Pumpkins
« on: September 02, 2012, 08:24:38 »
I've never grown these before, how do you know when they're are ready? I have 3 that are a rich orange and the leaves of the plant are all but dead. Should I leave them or are they ready?

Thanks
TEYman

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 10:52:36 »
They sound ready to me, although it seems quite early. ??? Try knocking them and see if they sound hollow.

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 11:25:33 »
Cut them off the vine with AT LEAST 4 - 5 inches of vine still attached.  If mould gets into the vine, it may not reach the fruit.

Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 14:25:46 »
See if you can mark the surface with your fingernail, if it leaves a mark then the skin has not yet set.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 15:07:18 »
As another person new to growing pumpkins I'm afraid I don't know the answer but I'm amazed yours are already 'rich orange'.  Mine are still dark green and I was wondering, do they get lighter or darker before they go orange? 

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 18:51:23 »
Georgie, this is my first year too (and loving it)  my pumpkin is about 60% orange now..it started turning about 10 days ago, and my leaves all look terrible, but the fruit and the particular vine it is on is still healthy, so I'm leaving mine a while longer.  There may be pics in my gallery  :)
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 11:17:42 »
Keep in mind that not all pumpkins are orange - some are yellow or green when ripe. In general, they can be left until the vine is really dead. unless it is affected by mould in which case cut off the vine well away from the fruit and leave it to mature. Early September does sound very early to me.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 13:36:34 »
In the East, my Uchiki Kuri have been orange for quite a while but I don't intend harvesting them yet, the leaves are still green. I have another large pumpkin from a saved seed (which means it could be anything) which is quite green.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal