Author Topic: any suggestions for childrens class categories for local flower show please?  (Read 2306 times)

Nora42

• Acre

Our lovely hort society is haveing it's 274th show this september and I think that the children's classes format needs shaking up a little,
varoius cooking and miniture garden classes can be entered in to but uptake is low - I am not a fan of the mini garden theme as it has nothing to do with growing stuff.
there are plenty of kids at the shows they come with their parents - I believe that to get kids enthused you have to show the exmples and get them doing it then and there.

suggestions for June show
Mesembryanthemum plant in pot - seeds can be sold at the june show - entered in for September
Sunflower in a pot Seeds can be sold at the june show entered in for September (every flower show should have sunflowers)
Make a Mr/Mrs Grass head- have a table the kids can work at while parents are looking at the show.entered in for September
have an art table - make a drawing of yourself/ family in the garden or draw a still life  (flowers) drawings to be judged at the shows end.

So what can i suggest is entered in for the June show?

Egg head - cress and mustard we could sell seeds and show examples at the September show.
maybe sell carnivorous plants in September and get them exhibited in June.

Any thoughts anybody
Nora
Norf London

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
One of the few things that I was successful at growing as a youngster was cacti.  Probably because they're tolerant of neglect.

But they can be quite beautiful when they flower.

You can grow them from seed, too.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
A homemade animal in its own habitat.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Miniature Garden
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

bluecar

• Acre
Hello Nora.

What about veggie cake - beetroot, carrot, courgette.

Regards

Bluecar

jesssands

• Acre
As a kid I can remember growing umberella plants. Learned it at scool and in no time I had heaps of them.

Nora42

• Acre
thanks for all your ideas I have contacted the commitee and will let you know which ones are succesfull the good news is they seem very open to change.
Nora  :wave:
Norf London

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
For next year a "Biggest Sunflower Flower" competition might work...

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Monsters built from various vegetables and  or flowers and a few cocktail sticks.

It's marvellous how inventive kids can be!

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
For the future.........and to inspire a generation as has been said!

Our show had a little gravel trays filled with a turf of grass and sporting themes. A cricket pitch, tennis .... endless possibilities.

Ninny

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal