Author Topic: Here is my Garden  (Read 7809 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: Here is my Garden
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2003, 19:08:04 »
your first msg to Tim, f, did set me wondering...how many veggie growers buy in plants?

Sometimes you have to buy in, though it is much better to do it yourself.

For instance i grow corgettes, but don need that many plants (2 max) so it is not worthwhile growing from seed (just as cheap to buy a couple of small plants from a nursery).  On the other hand i bought in a few tomato plants last season to augment my seed grown plants. Guess which produced the better crop?  Thats right the homegrown ones.

So really it depends on the crop and how much you want of it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2003, 19:22:20 »
But some spuds ARE only for boiling? Marshalls do give a choice. Don't give up!

Just an update on the  Autumn Potatoes. Just for Tim and Alishka.

The autumn potato crop has not been a sucess.  Not through lack of quantity, more down to eatablity.  I was hoping they would be as good as our early and maincrop potatoes (Foremost and Sante respectively), and we would be lucky to have some left by Christmas (this was the aim to have our own pots for Christmas lunch).

Unfortunately they have proved to be very firm and only any good for boiled, not any good as mash or roasted.  

As a result supplies have lasted longer than expected.  As of yesterday I have only lifted barely half the crop, and then only because I thought it ought to come in to be stored before it is frosted or rots.  

At this rate there will still be some left by the time I come to plant next years crop!!! (Whether any of them will be any good to eat by then is another matter).

As i said before I dont think I will be growing them again!!

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2003, 20:19:44 »
Silly answer to first posting here perhaps, particularly as I am not really churchy person, but church fetes and local fetes are a good place to sell on excess seedlings.  Everyone who does not have the resource of a greenhouse or potting shed, love to buy home grown seedlings!  Just a thought!
Muddy Boots

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2003, 20:28:13 »
No Muddy Boots. Not silly at all.  ::)Quite constructive actualy :D.

In fact it is something i have been thinking about doing. Not fetes perhaps, but car boot sales definetly.

Thing is i am not the worlds greatest salesman, and am the sort of person who treats their plants like offspring. So there is a difficulty there from the start. However i cannot plant them all, and rehoming them is better than no home at all :) ;).  Dont you think?

PS. I even got as far as asking advice on the BBC board some months back on selling plants. The result was mixed and inconclusive to say the least.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal