The Show > Pumpkin 'tastic

Will my pumkins get any bigger?

(1/1)

Jeanbean:
Would appreciate some advice. We have grown pumkins for the grandkids for Halloween every year. They have normally turned out a resonable size. This year they have turned orange at quite a small size, about a small round cabbage size. If we leave them in will they continue to grow or is this their final size. Does nayone know? Thanks

Dandytown:
Best way to know is to get out there and measure them (circumference) and see if there is any growth over a week. 

With atlantic giant pumpkins once they slow down that seems to be it.

Mine slowed down when about 30 days old and aborted growth.  They had started turning orange from the blossom end and felt soft (rotting had begun).

If yours are uniform in colour it could be that they are maturing early but if the orange colour starts at one end it could be that they are aborting. 

See this pic of my pumpkin for an example: http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/DiaryViewOne.asp?eid=187221

With regards to growth again, I have some bon bon squash which grew very quickly when the weather was good and got to their maximum size for the variety.  They no longer grow but are sitting happily on the vines maturing nicely.  Check your variety as they may only grow to a certain size.

I'm no expert, just sharing the little knowledge I have accumulated

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version