Author Topic: Site Security  (Read 1846 times)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Site Security
« on: September 13, 2012, 22:03:48 »
Our new committee have spent ages plugging up the gaps in the fencing etc and ensuring that the gates are always locked however yesterday I passed a couple of strangers wandering on the site.  My neighbour challenged them to learn that they were looking around to decide whether to take on a plot or not.  Initially we were mystified as to how they had gained entry as the gates were locked.  It appeared that they had been given the keys by a previous tenant whose tenancy had been terminated.  Apart from changing the lock which would cost quite a bit, what do other members suggest?  Thanks in advance.

chairman

• Not So New ...
Re: Site Security
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 07:45:41 »
We now charge a large deposit on keys, £20 which hopefully will see keys returned back once some one give's up or is terminated.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 10:30:47 »
This is an ongoing dilema for me..its so hard getting keys back! even to the point of sending an SAE so they post a key back,they rarely do! Have thought about a deposit but the cost may be too prohibitive for some?
Did you get the key back from them?
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 10:38:48 »
I think this is probably endemic in allotments.

We are considering raising the key deposit in the first instance, but we have also considered padlocks with keys that can't be copied (this would cost about £1000 for our split site), installing cameras and investing in a swipe card entry system (probably too expensive but cards can be disabled if not returned).

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 11:33:47 »
We have a £6 deposit against keys but it seems that only people who give up their tenancies of their own accord bother to collect it.  Have advised the secretary.

BritBrat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 07:48:36 »
We have digital locks and the code gets changed every new season.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal