Author Topic: Over-ripe raspberries  (Read 3135 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Over-ripe raspberries
« on: September 01, 2012, 16:57:50 »
having been away for 10 days, I picked a lot of raspberries today, but most of them were very ripe and some had slight blemishes. Will they be ok for jam?

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Over-ripe raspberries
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 17:52:10 »
I think the best measurement is simply to taste a few.  I notice that some of our raspberries start to taste a bit flat at the end of the season, I suspect because mould is starting to develop, albeit not yet visible.

But if they taste OK, they'll be OK!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 18:42:35 »
Thanks- I don't think any of them have got as good a taste this year because of all the rain.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 18:59:27 »
My autumn ones are just getting into gear over the last week or so, and I am pleased with the taste....I'm picking every 2 or 3 days so that they don't get over ripe. They are very useful frozen, when we can't keep up with them.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 20:50:27 »
Thanks- I don't think any of them have got as good a taste this year because of all the rain.

I rather agree, but I didn't mean that.  At the very end of the season they can taste "odd".

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 23:44:42 »
We've been gorging on raspberries for a while so yesterday my other half made 5 lb of jam. I hope to use a spare pound or two for some raspberry vinegar soon. I've heard good things about it but not made any before. I'd use the poorer fruit rather than prime berries.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal