Author Topic: Rhubarb chutney not thickening? Its cooking now.....  (Read 7205 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Rhubarb chutney not thickening? Its cooking now.....
« on: August 30, 2012, 21:35:37 »
How long should chutney take to start thickening up?  its been on the hob 35 minutes and shows no sign as yet as it still seems loose.  Followed the recipe to the letter.  Does it just set once in the jar?  If it does not start soon can it be done retrospective?

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/512139
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: Rhubarb chutney not thickening? Its cooking now.....
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 21:55:57 »
it may be that there was a lot of water in the rhubarb that will take that bit longer to evaporate off, keep stirring it till it thickens up, make sure its in a wide pan as more surface area lets it evaporate quicker.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 22:08:47 »
I like to make smaller quantities when I make chutney. I find that it takes less time ( I am impatient these days) to thicken up.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Lampranthus

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 22:22:02 »
 :) I would do what hippydave said and if that does not work you could always take a little liquid of by laying chutney in a sieve to drain it a bit and simmer again  and remember chutney does not set like jam .... 

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 22:35:21 »
Update:  pan has been simmering for about 80 minutes and the fluid level has reduced by about an inch.  The liquid is thicker than water but thinner than tomato soup.  Which is the best consistency for when to put it in jars or should I just leave it simmering still?

:)  chutney does not set like jam .... 
???  This is my first time with rhubarb chutney.

Lampranthus

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 22:55:18 »
Needs to be thicker than that, take some liquid off or you might be there all night :D

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 08:56:30 »
I always reckon to have to simmer chutney for one and a half to two hours to get it thick. 

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 09:16:06 »
I make rhubarb cakesa nd chutney every year and they've been particlularly slow to cook because the stems are so juicy from all the rain this year.

If you make another batch, try dry roasting chunks in the oven first to drive off some moisture and concentrate the flavour before slinging it in the pan with all the other ingredients.   
Obxx - Vendée France

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 09:44:12 »
I make rhubarb cakesa nd chutney every year and they've been particlularly slow to cook because the stems are so juicy from all the rain this year.

If you make another batch, try dry roasting chunks in the oven first to drive off some moisture and concentrate the flavour before slinging it in the pan with all the other ingredients.   

...and/or..use 'over size' pan for cooking..you get better evaporation of the juices.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 10:33:40 »
Good tip but I haven't anything bigger than my 10" square cake tin and the preserving pan.   Roast rhubarb is luscious on its own with ice cream too.  Much better than stewed.
Obxx - Vendée France

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 10:43:05 »
Other tip is not to be tempted to 'double' the recipe..evaporation takes even longer and unless you really have BIG pan for chutney/jam making it is better to keep into little and often method for large quantities of finished product.

Mrs Tweedy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 17:04:37 »
I would advise against taking liquid off as you would be taking vinegar and dissolved sugar too and this would affect the keeping qualities.

Depending on the amount of ingredients and the size of the pan it can take several hours to get chutney to the correct thickness.

You know when the chutney is ready by drawing a spoon across the bottom of the pan and if you can see a channel on the bottom of the pan with very little liquid seeping out then you are ready to pot. ;)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 18:33:15 »
It took almost 2 hours simmering but got there in the end.  Thanks all.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal