Author Topic: New allotment size advice.  (Read 4898 times)

deckchairblue

• Not So New ...
New allotment size advice.
« on: August 18, 2012, 08:16:18 »
Hi all, I'm a newbie and have been offered 4 plots in Lincoln.

From general research they all seem absolutely massive !

the 4 are sized at: 1 of 609sq yards, 1 of 583sq yards and 2 that are 540sq yards.
They are all available as either the full plot, or the size as a half plot.

My main questions are, do these sizes seem very big by common standards, and as a newbie would experienced members recommend taking a full or half plot (the full plots work out at around £7 more than the half plots)

thanks in advice for your help and advice

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: New allotment size advice.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 08:47:09 »
If I am working this out correctly then that (6oosq yards) is around 20 pole which is a big plot as generally 10 pole is considered a full sized plot.
My plot is only 5 pole and although I could do with more space I am not sure I would be able to cope with something 4 times as big but I do tend to have to go to work quite a lot!!
If you are a complete newbie 20 pole may be too much but if you fall for the allotment life then you may find (with time) that you want the extra space.
I guess it depends how much time do you have on your hands and the state of the plots.  Also can you upgrade from a half to a full plot later?
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 08:50:18 »
Always take a full plot is my advice,once you've stuck a couple of fruit trees and fruit bushes-shed greenhouse-polytunnel-flower patch-manure/compost heaps-water butts you will still have room for veg,not to mention if you can make a little parking space  ;)
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

deckchairblue

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 08:59:32 »
If I take a half, its arranged in an A+B way, where A is the half nearest the path, B is at the back, i cant reserve the B part, but I think in theory, no one would take it as they would have to walk through mine to get to theirs.

I work nights, and only do 7 shifts per 2 weeks so think i should have plenty of time on my hands for it.

I went for a quick look yesterday, going for a better one tomorrow. The allotments are arranged in two rows with a path in the middle, the bigger plot is on a side where all the other plots are taken, whereas the 3 others are near to the entrance, but surrounded by empty plots on either side, is this good or bad for either of them ?
friends suggested taking one surrounded by vacant plots as it'll make mine look better when i get it sorted ?

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 09:00:37 »
As secretary having seen so many people take on more than they can cope with I would say go for a 5 rod plot to start with. If you then take to it and want more then you can ask for more land at that time, but will have got knowledge and confidence behind you.
I've never met anyone who overestimates how much work a plot will be and the time it takes to do a good job.
If you read back on here you will see that even the old hands who have had an allotment for years have felt overwhelmed this year by the weed growth. And in a dry summer the time you save by not having to weed is taken up with watering.
Sorry to sound negative but trying to be realistic. If you have not got experience you need to start small, the main thing is to be HAPPY and if you are fighting the weeds all the time it is not fun.

Just read your  second post- if you take one surrounded by vacant plots you will benefit from the weeds blowing in if they do not get taken, but if it is near the entrance you do not have to walk as far. However may be more prone to theft/ vandalism.
If you take one amongst well tended plots you will have advice and often plants produce come your way.

There is no right answer just choices!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:07:37 by pumpkinlover »

deckchairblue

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 09:14:22 »
Hi pumpkin lover, as I said these are the plots on offer (there are more of similar sizes as well) if my calculations are right, even if I take half of one of the 540sq yard plots, that's still between 8-9 poles.

I have experience of gardening and growing some veg, helping my dad on his lottie etc.

I am leaning towards taking a half plot at the front, hence blocking in the B part of the plot if i do decide i want future  expansion.

On regards of weeds, would the fact im taking it on around now, so probably plan on using the the rest of this year clearing the ground, turning over the soil etc. not put me in a good position ?

just read your edit- what does weeds blowing in mean ? why would this be a benefit ?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:16:20 by deckchairblue »

Uncle Ted

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 09:38:06 »
This is what I'd do:
     For the sake of only an extra £7 take on the full plot, cover half of it with plastic. If in 2 years time  you decide you can't use it ,or don't want it, hand it back, you've only waisted £14, (that's a mere 26p/week).
      Meanwhile you've left yourself the option to use it if you want it, and wouldn't you be gutted if in 12 months you decide you need it but someone else has it, and has to walk through yours to get to what should have been yours!

'It is better to regret something you have done, than regret something you haven't done'

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 09:50:53 »
Check out the site rules. Our site requires 75% cultivation within 6 months. Also we now have a policy of starting newcomers off on a quarter plot (approx 50 sq yards). You'd be surprised how many find that challenging enough! When a full plot comes up they can move on to that if they have coped with the quarter plot.

PL's weed comment is very true: an empty plot next to you will grow a bumper crop of weeds and your plot will get all the weed seeds carried over. It is much better to have well-tended plots around you. I don't think she meant "benefit" as a good thing here!!

My plot is 200 square yards. It grows enough fruit and veg for 4 people. I give stuff away. Sometimes I think I'd like more land, but realistically I would be using land that other people could have. Mind you we have a waiting list - it sounds as though there are quite a few empty plots where you are.

deckchairblue

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 09:57:09 »
From talking to the council admin women who deals with it all, rule for newcomers is that i can only take a limit of 1 plot to begin with (doesn't matter if its half or full), once Ive chosen which plot I would like she said she'll go through the ins and outs with me.

i think a big plot could be a bit daunting to begin with, but if i can cover some of it and use what i need now for such a small extra, why not.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 09:58:18 »
I don't think our lettings sec would be too pleased by 300 sq yards of plastic for two years on a plot that someone else could be using...but it does depend on local rules and waiting lists (we have massive demand)
It is surprising how much grub you can turn out of 5-10 poles..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 10:17:58 »
covering half of it wouldnt be an option at our place either,what a shameful waste of land!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

deckchairblue

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 10:23:50 »
as I said, perhaps 30-40% of the allotments are currently vacant so I wouldn't be depriving anyone of land, at least i would be putting it to some use, even if it is just covered to clear.

Also as the half size here is the size of a standard allotment, i will be covering part of it anyway, as their is only the two of us and a couple of friends making use of the produce.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 10:27:08 by deckchairblue »

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 10:45:50 »
Wonder if the council can advertise bit...use the land for schools,community groups etc? Seems amazing given the waiting lists all over the country! Good luck with whatever you choose

deckchairblue

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 19:09:07 »
Isn't really any advertising for them, i only knew where they were because I walked past them on the way to work.

There's a few sites around the city centre which have waiting lists, 10 mins walk from there, there is maybe 5/6 sites which all have plenty of vacant lots.

The place I'm looking at is next to a river, will this be good or bad ?

I think i may take a half-plot, which blocks in the other half, in case i do want the full one in the future, as I'm taking it late in the season i think I'll set my mind to preparation for the new year.

If i go down the covering route, would people advise covering the whole thing for a few months, then digging out.
Or creating a plan (paths, shed, compost spaces) and just covering the parts I plan to grow on ?

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 22:15:03 »
Hi deckchairblue find out if the river has ever flooded the allotments,it would be a shame to put all that work in to end up with a duck pond
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

deckchairblue

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 15:07:24 »
Buster- looked it up a bit, no reports of that land ever being flooded, there is a 200ft stretch between the river and the site, and quite a steep bank + the allotments are on a slope so hopefully this would help.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 15:16:55 »
If you have extra space next year, I suggest asking one of the giant pumpkin experts for some seeds.  They are great at covering ground and suppressing weeds and are great fun to watch them growing.  Though they do appreciate water and fertilizer.

I did not find it hard to fill and allotments, but this year keeping the weeds under control has been a real chore.  Preferred the watering last year.

I took on an extra piece this year, and some extra potatoes, pumpkins, courgettes, parsnips, french beans and broadbeans has covered the space, kept the weeds down without a great deal of work.

Weeds seeds blown in from unattended plots is a real pain.  Dandelion, Milk thiste, ordinary thistle, groundsell, rose bay willow herb, Ragwort  etc ........ Nightmare.

deckchairblue

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 22:31:18 »
Hi guys, thanks for all the advice, have decided to take a one of the half plots sandwiched between currently tenanted plots, hopefully reduce on the windblown weeds i will get. Have taken the A plot, which is still 300sq ft, and also means the B plot is blocked behind mine which from talking to current growers on the site seems a popular thing for people to do.

Getting the contract through the post this tomorrow, so will no doubt be on here as soon as the inks dry to ask for advice with what to do with the thing.

thanks again

Matt

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 22:41:30 »
good luck and enjoy! look forward to hear how youre getting on.its a great time of year to get a plot as you can concentrate on clearing it and finding your feet without the pressure of planting

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 19:11:04 »
PUmpkins will fill the space up for one year easily enough, but I'd also think about fruit... if I had that much space in one patch the fruit area would be huge......

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal