The Show > Pumpkin 'tastic

Squash varieties

(1/2) > >>

Spireite:
Having a couple of lazy days having dug over the veg patch, so I've been reading up on different types of squash to try and plan which to attempt next year.  My Jack o Lantern has only 1 fruit...currently running at 31" girth   ;D
So a couple of questions...which I think should maybe go into different threads...please bear with me...

1) to harvest my own seeds from my single pumpkin, do I have to take it off the vine 4 weeks before carving out to let it mature?

2) do squashes take up less room than a pumpkin plant?

I'm sure I shall think of more questions as I plan for next year

galina:
1.  Jack O lantern is an open pollinated variety.  If you have isolated and hand pollinated the fruit, you will get JOL seeds for next year.  If you didn't, it has very likely crossed with a number of other squash varieties, including some growing down the road.  Next year you might get 'Jack O Marrow', 'Jack O Acorn' or 'Jack O Patty Pan' if you haven't handpollinated.

You want to leave the fruit on the vine for as long as possible.  For seed harvest, you then leave it for at least a further month, as the seeds inside will mature further.  But that doesn't mean that there will be no viable seeds inside the fruit you will carve for halloween.  It is more important to leave it on the vine for as long as possible.

It is entirely dependent on the variety of squash.  Bush buttercup for example has short vines and takes up less space. most others are very similar in terms of the space they need.  There is a fruit to foliage ratio - plants must be of a certain size to sustain a lot of fruit.  Possibly the best plant foliage to fruit ratio would be growing a courgette plant and leaving several fruit on to grow to marrow proportions.

Spireite:
I think this is a true JOL, as I handpollinated, leaving 2 male flowers for the female to close over...my 4th attempt on this plant, but I didn't then tie it or bag it...so potentially something else COULD have got in there....except there have been very few bees around us, and I know of no one else in my street that grows veg, but who knows??  :)

Dandytown:
Highly reccomend Bon Bon F1.  Here's a link to a good review which I entirely agree with.

http://parkseed.com/squash-winter-bonbon-hybrid/p/05312-PK-P1/.

There are so many vaireties that do not live up to their descriptions but the bon bon will not dissapoint.  Its a great climber, see:

http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/DiaryViewOne.asp?eid=187222

The only other variety I would reccomend is black futsu which produces a very creamy, nutty complex taste.  In my hands the plants are always puny which may be good if you are limited for room.

Spireite:
Hey D Town...just spoke to the husband who seems to think my pumpkin has already taken over the garden....it's only in one bed  :-\  I'm not sure he was too thrilled to hear I fancy trying to grow a selection next year ;D These would be far more productive than the ornamental grass and ivy i've been pulling up this week ;)
I quite fancy the Carnival or Festival ones...all green and yellow and 'bobbly' plus they look easy to bake whole...I don't DO difficult cooking...he's always calling me in for my dinner  ;D
Or maybe Sweet Dumpling Squashes... for something bigger The Blue crown princes, and the ugly Marina di Fiocchia look fab  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version