The Show > Pumpkin 'tastic

Got an Atlantic Giant to grow

<< < (2/5) > >>

chriscross1966:
Yes, after some less than successful experiments with a purely solar powered autowatering rig this year I'll be going to a battery powered one next year. I have a header tank for it and a lift pump, so for "normal use" I can rig it to push a hundred litres or so into the header tank, allow it to warm through the day and then drop it in at night...

Digeroo:
Many thanks for the weight estimating tools.  I will go with my tape measure.  The only problem for me is that the biggest pumpkin is right in the middle of a vast sea of leaves and intertwined stems more or less hidden still, and getting to it without damaging something might be a problem. In particular I planted three but have absolutely no idea to which plant the pumpkin is attached.

chriscross1966:
Managed to get down there tonight just as it got dark.... I've been away for a week... it's now around 2 feet across adn a foot or so deep. I put a frame over it that is basically holding four panes of horti glass over it and managed to get a bed of sand under it instead of the slab just before I went away... fingers crossed, it won't win any awards but it might beat the family best..

Nigel B:

--- Quote from: chriscross1966 on August 14, 2012, 08:35:13 ---Yes, after some less than successful experiments with a purely solar powered autowatering rig this year I'll be going to a battery powered one next year. I have a header tank for it and a lift pump, so for "normal use" I can rig it to push a hundred litres or so into the header tank, allow it to warm through the day and then drop it in at night...

--- End quote ---

Hi Chris,
Did you learn anything helpful about the solar against battery power? What size/type of experiment did you do? Yunno, just a  rough outline. :)
Congratulations on the pumpkin, by the way. Its something of an achievement just to get on the calculating scale.  ;D

Jayb:
Nice one :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version