Author Topic: Agapanthus  (Read 6503 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Agapanthus
« on: February 28, 2005, 12:54:05 »
I potted mine up from the garden last year as it didn't flower, but unlike last year the leaves are still very much there. I thought they always died down?..When do I start to feed again?..
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
Re: Agapanthus
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 14:21:31 »
They seem to vary. I have had 2 (different varieties) in pots for 4/5 years now - one dies back, the other doesn't. I feed them etc in the Spring when I "do" my pots - top dress etc. but probably don't give them as much tlc as they deserve for such gorgeous plants! Mine flower every year - I am sure that I read somewhere that they like to be pot bound so I have never potted them on.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 16:33:22 »
 ;DThanks Periwinkle...I've yet to see mine flower. can't wait. ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 22:16:07 »
Grew a handful from seed 2 years ago and noticed today new leaves are just begining to poke through the soil.  Fingers crossed that maybe I will get a flower or 2 this year!

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 09:55:18 »
 ;D Good luck with them EJ ..what colour are they? do they come true from seed, let us know when they flower.Its more rewarding from seed you feel...I've done that... ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 10:05:47 »
No idea on colour as they were seeds from the RHS seed scheme a couple of years back.  I shall keep you posted!  ;D

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 10:09:36 »
Okay...don't forget.... ;D

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
  • Let's get dirty and dig up the spuds..........
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 14:32:49 »
I potted mine up from the garden last year as it didn't flower, but unlike last year the leaves are still very much there. I thought they always died down?..

When do I start to feed again?..  As soon as you are hungry Val I'd have thought.........
;D ;D ;D

Blimey!  You must live in the tropics if the agapanthus is outside.  Mine is in the greenhouse to overwinter and the old leaves have all died off.  It is now showing new leaves and I am watering it with a half-strength liquid feed once a week or so.  It will be back outside in April but if frosts are forecast, it will be wrapped up in fleece.  After this summer I am going to overwinter it once more and plant it out in 2006 where it will stay - until death us do part.  8)

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 16:40:03 »
If you see my pic 'this morning' on the gallery thats how tropical we are at the moment, but ask me in the summer and I 'd say yes but its hotter.Its still green and very much alive and kicking.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 19:18:40 »
Although they have the reputation of being delicate flowers and needing winter protection, I have actually found them to be quite tough - at least here in S Wales! Have grown them both in the garden and pots - about 7 varieties at one time, and have never lost any over winter. My current 2 in pots live on a very exposed balcony but never been given any extra protection.  :)

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 19:42:07 »
I've heard they do best if not given much space in the pot, ie dont put into a bigger pot when they look like they need it as you would for most plants.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 20:45:31 »
Not sure if mine are Agapanthus or Canna but they are outside in pots and the stems appear firm although as expected the leaves are in tatters :o 8)

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 22:05:01 »
I have mine in a pot and had to wait a couple of years before getting any flowers as they do like to be potbound.  It is left out all winter and seems to be ok so far.  No leaves yet though.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2005, 22:20:08 »
Roy, for you, piccy of agapanthus......
and a canna.....

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2005, 09:53:43 »
 ;D EJ they are beautiful. Does anyone keep Cannas outside?. I'd love to grow them but I can't be doing with all that lifting and storing.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 11:57:27 »
They aren't mine Val, I lifted them from Google.  I don't keep my cannas out, but they do stay permanently planted in their pots.  They probably don't perform nearly as well as those planted, but they do look stunning and I can use them to plonk in the flower beds when gaps appear of all together on the deck for a stunning show.  ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 12:52:37 »
I’m pretty sure that blue thing is an Agapanthus ???  and I know the red one is a Canna Durban/Tropicana, :D  but when they are small without flowers aren’t they very similar.? ??? Take a peek at the 4 pots in first piccy :-\

I bought 11 varieties last March from Webbs G/C and thought Agapanthus were in there too. ???
Ah well good excuse for a picky. ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2005, 13:11:07 »
The blue thing is a delphinium Roy, the rest are cannas, and a good looker it is too!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2005, 13:39:19 »
 :-[ Oops!  :-[  ;D

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2005, 13:45:05 »
I live in far South East london and have kept Canna (looks like Rots one) at the end of my Garden for the past 2 years. I just chop down once its died off and leave it. My back garden is quite protected - my passionflower flowers and fruits non-stop all year. Large buds already on it and fruit still on there too.
Dawn

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal