Author Topic: I'm tempted to throw the towel in  (Read 10813 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: I'm tempted to throw the towel in
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2012, 04:35:15 »
I need to think about sowing more in modules

I lost almost all my winter brassicas to slugs but cabbages and psb.  So I bought modules from guy at the local market.  Very impressed with the results. Each plant was in a separate little pot in compost so hopefully no probs with picking up soil based problems.  They took off like rockets once planted in the ground. 

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2012, 09:46:52 »
Well I haven't thrown the towel in - but had a huge clear out over the past few days.

Have to say that I feel totally flat this year - but think that we are all going to have to learn to live with the fact that the good old British weather is even less predictable than it ever was - and react accordingly. Happy days!!   

I followed this advice too. So much has failed, and while I was on two weeks holiday it decided to become a heatwave and many things have died off. I sowed lots of new stuff before going and almost everything has died. So I have dug over a large area and sowed some radish, late beet, autumn lettuce and some more cabbage and pak choy and bought in some leeks and winter cauli plants (all my Candid charm seedlings died and I used up all the seeds). And the rest will stay fallow now. For winter I have leeks, greens and sprouts, and the pumpkins have not turned out too bad so far, that will have to do.
Worst year ever  think. we have harvested almost no veg from all the investment in time and money. except for onions garlic and potatoes. I have not even had one courgette.... first time that has happened. It is making me go off the idea of sowing my own as I was starting to do, and just buy in plants that are already well established.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Hazelb

• Half Acre
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2012, 09:56:43 »
Well I haven't thrown the towel in - but had a huge clear out over the past few days.

Have to say that I feel totally flat this year - but think that we are all going to have to learn to live with the fact that the good old British weather is even less predictable than it ever was - and react accordingly. Happy days!!   

I followed this advice too. So much has failed, and while I was on two weeks holiday it decided to become a heatwave and many things have died off. I sowed lots of new stuff before going and almost everything has died. So I have dug over a large area and sowed some radish, late beet, autumn lettuce and some more cabbage and pak choy and bought in some leeks and winter cauli plants (all my Candid charm seedlings died and I used up all the seeds). And the rest will stay fallow now. For winter I have leeks, greens and sprouts, and the pumpkins have not turned out too bad so far, that will have to do.
Worst year ever  think. we have harvested almost no veg from all the investment in time and money. except for onions garlic and potatoes. I have not even had one courgette.... first time that has happened. It is making me go off the idea of sowing my own as I was starting to do, and just buy in plants that are already well established.

I know exactly what you mean:

I've had a few potatoes, garlic and onions...and not much else! The slugs even managed to chop their way through a fully grown courgette...I've never seen that happen before.

I'm holding on for runners and leeks and some PSB if it makes it through the winter!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal