Author Topic: The Olympics  (Read 25250 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: The Olympics
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2012, 20:52:55 »
Ace, I have watched it twice since and although I understand the concept better and hear what you say, overall I am still dissapointed.  I might add I really tried and stress that there was much that was good. It came across to me "in bits" that is one of my points of dissapointment.

I am however very positive about the Olympics generally and feel great that there are so many folks now enjoying them, I was getting a bit sad about the negatives evryone told me about
XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2012, 22:16:46 »
agree with Ace.  I enjoyed the opening ceremony especially Mr Bean and the shots going round London was excellent.  I really thought it was well done.  Only thumbs down was Paul McC.   I switched off.   The Olympics has been wonderful as well and watched it a s much as possible.   The GB team  have done really well.  I admire them all after all their years of training for this moment.  Well done.

;D ;D

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2012, 22:19:19 »
Thanks for your reply Jeannine and I can understand your point of view.

I wonder did you get the UK commentary with it over there?

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

pumkinlover

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2012, 22:44:35 »
Excuse me but going back a couple of pages I haver taken offence to the suggestion that  the pessimists post on the Olympic soon thread... I started that thread and my comment was full of very excited positive happiness for the Olympics, and I didn;t turn negative although I did post on it several times. 

So my comment goes here and it is negative, I did not like the opening ceromonies, just simply did not like this one.

XX Jeannine

I think you are refering to my post Jeannine, I can assure you no offence was meant.
I was totally taken aback by how other people felt about the olympics, I had booked my days off for the Torch relay  coming to Chesterfield and the olympics fortnight for about a year and although I was so unhappy at the loss of Manor allotments I was focused on all the positive aspects of the olympics- Jess Ennis and the Track cycling which we love to watch.

The Olympics soon thread you started Jeannine soon became  the focus of the lack of enthusiasm being shown by many people and did enlighten me to a lot of things I was not aware of such as the sponsors like Dow and Pepsi/coca cola/ Mc Donalds.

I rarely watch the opening ceremonies as prefer the "action" but did actually enjoy this one, so started another thread to that effect.
It was a bit tongue in cheek of me  a bit later to sugest that they anti-olympic comments were put in the thread Olympics soon... and the pro Olympics  posts  went into the Olympics one. I never meant any offence at all, and I thought that the comment about LOCOG approval made it clear that it was in so called "humour".
Anyway I never meant to cause offence, and will continue to enjoy the achievements of the atheletes.

Now who is going to watch the closing ceremony ;)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 22:47:02 by pumpkinlover »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2012, 09:05:19 »
I do not understand the need to put positive and negative reactions in separate threads.

Negative, this lot has cost the country a fortune at a time when our country is supposed to be broke.Look at all the cuts the Cameron has put upon us.I was Reading about hospital closures a few weeks back...the list goes on.Suppose that is OK though as long as we get a couple of weeks of games?

Positive..........great entertainment.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2012, 09:47:58 »
I agree good entertainment but did it have to cost the country so much money.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2012, 11:03:24 »
As the title said "Olympics" im baffled how folks bother to bore us with political bias, when we won the right to show the Olympics this country was skint and going thru grief  even then, so to pick out Hospitals suffering(I work as a volunteer at one so see it first hand 3 days a week) all we want to read is how entertained or not we have been since the kick off,yes,I enjoyed the OC,and no matter how well the Beeb dislplayed the events we all have our favourites and there will never be enough to satisfy our specific sporting likes.!!!!!.

I think the Overall TV coverage has been successful,and everytime Jo foreigner has been interviewed live he always seems happy with his visit to our shores,that said,the sportsmen and women have given a big thumbs up to our treatment of them so after the dust settles and we are left to count the cost in the aftermath im
happy to say this country and its sportsmen have done us proud.

IMO  !!!!!!!!!!

Gazza

pumkinlover

« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2012, 13:39:36 »
I do not understand the need to put positive and negative reactions in separate threads.

There's no need at all Betula, I never thought anyone would take it seriously- especially as the bit about LOCOG approval was obviously rubbish.

If anyone has taken offence I am apologising but it was not meant to cause any problems :-[

I was just sad that there is so much negativity - though I now understand why  a lot of it exists-  most of which had been put in "the olympics soon thread" I sort of felt it we could  have the the upbeat posts all together and move away from the negative ones once the olympics had started and we were starting to feel good about some aspects, that's all I meant by it. It was not anything more than that, if anyone feels that I was trying to tell them which thread to post in I'm sorry I made you feel that way.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 14:27:09 by pumpkinlover »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2012, 14:51:43 »
I forgive you pumpkinperson LOL ;D

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2012, 18:17:06 »
Synchronised swimming,

I don't really know how this is classed as a sport, I know you must be fit to do it but sport it ain't. Bring back poodle clipping, that used to be an olympic sport

http://war1057.wordpress.com/2012/07/30/11-strange-olympics-events-photoslist/

I think you need to be more than just fit as the train for up to 10 hours aday in and out of the water :)
Just watched the catchup video of the women duet on the bbc sport site. Totally amazing...

Like to see you have a go Ace ;D

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2012, 18:19:10 »

Like to see you have a go Ace ;D

I'm not sure I would  ;) ;)
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2012, 18:50:48 »
Rubber hat, peg on my nose and a big cheesy grin, plus an assistant to pull me under, I could do it. I will need a proper swimsuit as Ace in speedos might make the lady judges biased.

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2012, 19:08:58 »
So we will be seeing you in Rio 2016 Ace? ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2012, 19:41:39 »
I feel very negative about certain aspects of the olympics including the OC and the financing, but I feel that is certainly not towards the athelete and their fantastic achievements. 

The BBC has a tremendous bias towards certain sports.  You get huge amount of coverage of some athletes, spending ages watching them tweaking their knicker elastic and others hardly get a mention or just  a couple of seconds at the end.  Then other bits are shown over and over and over again.   I want to see more of the actual events and less of people sitting in studios being paid a great deal to pontificate about it.

And Federer should have been disqualified like the badminton players for not trying hard enough. 

And when did the Union Flag turn blue?

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2012, 21:15:37 »
Thats my only complaint the flag turning blue, ??? then again when have I liked red, he spits on the floor.    ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2012, 00:22:41 »
Hubby and I will be at the Closing Ceremony as our son bid for tickets when the first bids opened. He won and our two children gave them to us as a Coral Wedding Anniversary present, our anniversary will be on the 13th, the day after.

We are looking forward to it so much, and both being born and bred Londoners (albeit lived most of our lives in Sussex now) who knows where we'll end up after the ceremony!  :D

There are so many positives as to hosting the games, in my humble view, it will lift a lot of children to be able to believe in themselves and have a go. It's not just about sport, it can be anything, and it's not just for the children. We ALL should have a go at something, bettering ourselves and lifting our own spirits.

This year I have knitted and knitted and knitted, having never knitted anything since my grandma taught me how to plain and purl, tiny woollen dolls for a charity, 30 completed. I was knitting one at cricket and a Brownie mum mentioned about tiny teddies for the little Brownies' first time on camp, I've done my 8th one for them. This year I feel I've found something new I can do, and didn't do it once but kept on going, learned a few new stitches along the way too, not all perfect but I'm getting better.

Despite all the harsh times we are going through I would love to hope the Olympics will leave each and every one of us thinking of what we can achieve, if we want to.

Here's Ninny's Olympic team cheering on our lads and lasses that are doing so well for their country.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2012, 07:05:53 »
They are gorgeous Ninny  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2012, 07:21:08 »
They're great!

pumkinlover

« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2012, 09:10:25 »
Love the little teddies and peeps!!

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2012, 09:19:08 »

Love them, enjoy yourselves. and have a day to remember.
   June.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal