Author Topic: The Olympics  (Read 24965 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Re: The Olympics
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 15:40:56 »
Nice touch from the germans

Did he mean to give a Nazi salute?

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 16:30:38 »
I've just watched most of it on catch-up.

I loved seeing all the different countries come in, even though I've never heard of some of them. ;)

I loved seeing Doreen Lawrence holding a corner of the olympic flag.

I didn't love seeing Mohammed Ali.  Poor man, he made me feel really sad.  :(

Haven't seen Paul McCartney yet, I have that 'pleasure' yet to come.  ::)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2012, 16:32:07 »
Nice touch from the germans

Did he mean to give a Nazi salute?
Of course not - once again it is just the knockers picking up on a mis-timed shot.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2012, 17:00:09 »
I really wanted to like it but like BDN, I just didn't, really. I was very much looking forward to it but after about fifteen minutes I was already thinking, I hope this picks up. I enjoyed the forging of the five rings (Peter Jackson, is that you?) but quite a lot of the ceremony choices left me feeling deflated. I know that in the end it's all down to personal taste and it's not that I wanted to see five thousand acrobats pinging about for hours on end but I did want more so for me it's a no and I'm disappointed about that.  I thought the music choices were awful and Paul McC, really, bow out gracefully, man. I know it was very, very late for Queenie but I really wanted her to smile or wave to the crowd or Team GB just once before it wrapped up. Also, over four hours long? Good grief, that's a bit too long! Still, the majority of watchers are pleased and proud and that's important.

Now, GO TEAM GB and bring on the sport! ;D ;D

Edit:  I really, really liked the cauldron (crucible? not sure what the official name is) I thought it looked amazing.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 17:28:48 by SamLouise »

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2012, 17:10:14 »
I thought it was brilliant, so much in it that I will have to watch it again. Good that Great Ormond Street Hospital was on, as it is the best in the world and so many different people involved, just brilliant, and I am the first person to moan usually.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2012, 17:47:21 »
I really enjoyed it although occasionally the BBC video editing got in the way of what was going on. I think it must have been a truly splendid spectacle for those fortunate enough to see it in the stadium. I expect the queen was smiling from time to time too - we just didn't get to see those bits.

If I have a criticism it would be  Rowan Atkinson - funny for a bit then quite frankly boring (yes I got the joke 10 minutes ago) and of course Paul McCartney who looked and sounded like the elderly gent he is. Not that I have anything against elderly gents but, given how good he was when he was younger, I found him a slightly pathetic pastiche of his former self.

Also why do all the announcements in French as well as English? Is that Olympic protocol?

Anyway I thought it was clever, it was spectacular and it presented a stylised show version of many facets of Britain.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2012, 19:17:56 »

Also why do all the announcements in French as well as English? Is that Olympic protocol?

For the IOC french is the first language and english is it's second language, so I expect it is diplomacy. Funny you would think greek would be the first language, but I don't suppose it is high on anybodies lists to learn.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2012, 19:45:59 »
About the Queen's stiffness: we decided she didn't want to take away any of the honor of the day to the participants by showing off. 

Though I did wish for fun when she was supposed to be in the helicopter that she would have given that little Queenly wave to the earthlings as they flew down the Themes.

We went to bed after the USA team marched in so didn't see how she reacted to your team. 

Anyway, we sat amazed at how extensive the agrarian set was and how quickly it was dismantled. The choreographing must have been a nightmare.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2012, 20:24:08 »
 I was not going to watch only sky+, BUT i started to watch & that was it i stayed till the end.
  I thought it was spectacular, the young athletes lighting the flame was such a lovely touch  (well kept secret)  it was just amazing watching all those petals join as one.
The only downside i found was Paul Mac, he was absolutely dreadfull i thought maybe he had,  had a sherbet or 2.  Why do these peeps want to carry on let some younger person perform...
                   WELL DONE GREAT BRITIAN.
 That was the best ever Olympic Opening i have ever seen.
Please leave our very hard working QUEEN alone.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 23:18:37 »
Haven't watched any part of the olympics.  Too busy but not that bothered neither.  Went to see the torch when it came near here but thats about it for me.  Not enough hours in the day at the moment.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Ru1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2012, 23:35:51 »
I agree with Rosebud that Paul McCartney was awful  :o :o

I loved the rest of it however.

Especially Rowan Atkinson who was funny in his normally weird way  ;D ;D

For someone who doesn't usually enjoy the opening ceremonies, I was pleasantly surprised  :) :)

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2012, 23:53:25 »
Paul McCartney was awful

Not sure whether it was different on the live transmission but on the iplayer catch up it seemed to me they had a technical sound issue
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2012, 10:56:09 »
My tuppence worth... Came home from work knackered and totally prepared to be disappointed and a bit embarrassed by the opening ceremony, also a bit nervous in case there was a right disaster and there was a total muck up. I sat watching with my mouth hanging open! I thought the taped sections following the Thames and the involvement of everyone watching the Olympic flame was really well done, and the 007 entrance by the Queen, I was amazed she went along with that, can you imagine any other monarch doing that! Overall I thought it was stunning, and actually worked hard to show the quirky mixture our country is, really hard to do, and obviously hard to please everyone. Now all our competitors have to do is WIN SOMETHING!!!!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2012, 11:58:53 »
Well, you can't help getting caught up in it all. Cheering GB etc. Now the competitors are doing thier thing which is what it's all about anyway, regardless of the organisation. A couple of little moans though, Have all the pundits got a university degree in 'stating the bleeding obvious' oh they do get on my tits. Also the bbc have it tied up with all the coverage, repeating the good bits over and over. So why don't they leave it out of the news programmes. I want proper news on whats going on in the world, not second  hand reports on something that is fully covered elsewhere. I have to revert to google news to get my fix.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2012, 22:57:33 »
Not everyone has computers Ace, some of the old school still has to watch it on telly on the news, perhaps not totally comfortable with pressing all those buttons on the remote nowdays  ;)

Lappy here is tuned in all day, so I can watch the bits I want and have a loud screech when necessary to set the aviary birds a few gardens down into turmoil  ;D

Ninny

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2012, 08:54:48 »
One thing I've found really sad is that some of the competitors feel the need to apologize for not posting a better time or claiming a better medal. There must be millions of couch potatoes like me whose only sprint is the one to the fridge between races. Please don't apologize.

The other thing that's got me is the "medal feeding frenzy" of the BBC - I'm sure we all want to see Brits doing well but the pressure from the BBC couch is becoming overbearing - the extreme was the swimming pundits last night "disappointed" with a Bronze from Rebecca Adlington. It seems like they're turning it into a numbers game with the medals table becoming an obsession.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2012, 13:06:25 »
I'm loving watching the whole olympics...had a chest infection this week so not well enough to do anything in the garden...[other than measure my biggest pumpkin...which grew 1 and a half inches in 24 hours!!!!]
I wish I had the fitness to even complete/attempt these courses/sports...let alone get a medal in them!!!
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2012, 19:49:23 »
WOW - we're third in the medal table :o  ;D
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2012, 20:17:49 »
I'm no sports fan at all but I used to fence and was lucky enough to get given tickets to the men's epee and women's sabre finals. It was fantastic!!!
I watched the best fencers in the world fight each other. The finals of the women's sabre played Queen's 'We Will Rock You' with the audience giving the 3 beat clap as the contestants entered. I'd fight an army single handed after such an entrance!

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2012, 21:50:34 »
And now there are 13!!!!!!!!!!!!
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal