Author Topic: 2012 Giant Pumpkin Updates  (Read 23936 times)

pete JB

• Half Acre
Re: 2012 Giant Pumpkin Updates
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 16:52:16 »
Looking good Mal. Beautiful pumpkin !

Pete

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 18:34:07 »
I had a couple which were tennis ball size and they are now foot ball sized, they seem to be growing very fast.  Then I noticed one I had missed it has grown enormous nearly beach ball sized.  Not quite up to your standard slyfox but I am very pleased with it.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 14:08:16 »
day 42 today and a new personal best milestone has been reached my old pb was 394 lb two years ago today mine tapes in at 412lb and still plenty of time to grow still putting on a steady 18lb per day

i hope to keep it going   and i hope the pumpkin gods are on my side this year as i would really like to give this kin to charity later on
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

lisaparkin

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 14:40:53 »
I have a 'nearly as big as a football' one now ;D

Sly, your pumpkin is huge, hope it keeps growing for you!!!  Well done ;D

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 17:18:00 »
Mal, really rooting for you this year.  Smashing your old pb  :)

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 18:20:01 »
I still can't believe that a Giant puts on 18 lb a day...I really dont think I would ever have room in my garden to attempt that!!!   Well done Sly  ;D
My (1) Jack o lantern is currently about the size of a football, just hoping the slugs wont attack the plant...they've had everything else in my garden this year  :-[
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2012, 20:00:22 »
thanks everyone for the very kind comments as you all know its been a very hard year full stop we have had to deal with the poor weather for months on end .
 useing a tunnel this year has helped me a great deal and is in my opinion the only way to grow big pumpkins he in the uk, dont let this deter you from trying as you have seen on here and eslewhere its quite possible to grow pkns to several hundred pounds perfectly well  in decent weather even in the northeast of england.

spireite : its true that a very large amount of space is needed and not all have the luxury of having alot of spare ground to work with the area im using is about 315 sq ft 15 x21 ft so not a massive patch by anymeans i know growers using over 1000 sq ft per plant and laso 18lb per day is pretty poor compared to some i know of american growers  who are putting on 50 to 60 lb per day and 35lb per day is a normal amount to gain with the right conditions at peak growing time.

growing these freaks is great fun and also heart breaking at times and you can easily become addicted to growing giants of all discriptions if you dont have room for growing a giant pkn maybe try giant marrows space needed 10x15 ft they are just as much fun to grow  if not more so sometimes as they only take 45 days to mature after setting  (approx)i shall be offering some giant marrow seeds  shortly  if you send me a self addressed sealed envolope i have some seed to go to good homes .

this offer is open to anyone who would like to try
 kindest regards mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 12:12:25 »
You know what Mal, i may just try them as well next year!

For this year, one of mine aborted around day 30 (25lbs) and the other was culled day 36 (75lbs) as it was aborting.  Both were slow growers. I do have a second chance with one pollinated around the 4th Aug but on the other patch I'll start prep for next year, as, as you say.... this hobby can be addictive despite the setbacks and dissapointment that follows our hard work.

I completely agree that growing in a polytunnel is the method of choice. 

Keep us posted Mal, rooting for you!

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 12:14:01 »
Mal, why not take her to this show before donating her to charity:

http://press.rhs.org.uk/Press-releases/Get-pumped-for-pumpkin-growing!.aspx

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 12:44:47 »
I have a 'nearly as big as a football' one now ;D

I have lots of leaves............... :(

Well done Mal, yours is fantastic!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 13:42:48 »
Wow it is becoming very impressive.   I am willing it on.  ;D ;D ;D

I am becoming an addict.   ;D   Mine is just going to start showing above the leaves certainly a pb already.  Still not got near with the tape measure.

What do you recommend feeding them with?   

What prep do you start for next year?

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 16:22:21 »
I have been told its best to have most of the feed they need in the soil well in advance of growing.

For now I would say just go with seaweed once a week.  If you have any nettles that have been sitting in water for a while, water that on too.

Mal could be doing something completely different, well see ;)

One of my patches will be scrapped this week and I will start prepping for next yearas follows:
1.  Take a soil sample and send off for analysis (around £21 per sample using a US comnpany)
2.  Add ammendments to adjust pH or add/balance nutrients e.g. Ca, Mg, Fe etc etc
3.  Add manure and grow some grazing rye over autumn and winter then dig in March/April time
4. Another soil test and ammend if neccesary
5. Put up a cloche or tunnel etc a few weeks ahead to warm the soil

6.  Grow, grow, grow!

However, i did none of this my first year and grew a 494 lb pumpkin (beginners luck).   I didn't soil test this year either but I did more than in my first year and added some fish, blood and bone, blood, bonemeal, epsom salts and potassium su;lphate.  At the moment my pumpkins have aborted. My soil could be out of balance but I just tried to cover the elements in moderation or it could just be luck and weather.  Some have grown on completely new patches with nothing added and have grown massive giants.

If anyones wants some links to resources from the best growers in the world, message me and I'll compile a list of info
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 16:32:34 by Dandytown »

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 18:36:51 »
I am  just in awe of everyone on this thread.... :o
pH testing, soil prep, erecting tunnels....
I thought it was digging in manure and compost before...with the odd liquid feed during growing.....  ;)

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 20:45:10 »
i hardly feed at all during season all i need should be in ground well before  plant goes in  i give a light foliar of seaweed  once per week and  keep looking at plant if it looks to be flagging i give a feed with about 2oz of fish hydrolysate 8.7.7 npk to pick it up  i also look for yellowing of leaves and when seen give a hit of epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) watering is a strict  regime keep soil moist but not soaked at all times  a heavy hitter told me soil should be 50 25 25  50% soil 25% o2 and 25% water soil compaction is a major issue so keep soil loose at all times .

soil testing is a must  would you put your baby in a bath without testing if water was to hot  or cold and how would you ever guess whats needed if you dont know whats already there

i also use about 2 kg of mycorrihzae per plant per season ( this is optional but i like to use it and believe it helps root mass)

growing these things is pretty easy when you know what is going on but that does not mean you will grow a giant  but each persons perception of a giant is different  three years ago  mine was a pumpkin of over 100lb now its changed  to over 700lb  this doesnt mean im better at it it just means i know more than i did then and make alot less mistakes  .

please dont get scared off by all the science behind growing decent fruit just have a go anyone can do it  without spending a fortune trying .

and finally  you need a few things to grow a good fruit  firstly a good seed  ( dont bother getting generic atlantic giant seed ) you will never grow a true giant from these

secondly good weather  ( if growing outdoors  in uk ) dont be put off it can happen

thirdly get your patch in order good loose soil  plenty of organic material decent drainage

and last of all good luck  .

my last comment to you is dont be in awe of us growing these freaks we are just normal people growing  abnormal fruit  if its going to grow let it grow and enjoy the ride
 kindest regards mal

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 15:25:58 »
day 48 today reached a new milestone  504lb

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 16:08:42 »
504 lb Very impressed indeed.  Especially this year when we have had so little sunshine.

Finally got to measure mine.  Rather puny in comparison, but I am pleased with it.  I calculate it at about 61 lbs.  At least it is big enough to get slightly further than the bottom of the calculation chart.   But it is still yellow and shiny with very little ribbing so I am hoping that it still has a little growing to do.   I would like to hope it might reach 100lb.   Sunshine the last few days has got it excited. 

No problems with drainage.  It had a whole 100 litre bag of recycled compost, quite a lot of blood fish and bone and chicken pellets.  2kg of mycorrihzae per plant would make this very expensive hobby.

Looks like I need a load of epsom salts some of the leaves are very yellow indeed.  It has had some miracle grow instead.

My technique is very poor, sow, shove in the ground, feed a bit, water a bit, mulch a bit. 
A good seed and some luck did most of the work.

To go from 100lb to 500lb in three years is fantastic.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2012, 16:32:26 »
well done digeroo keep it going and come on give a pic of it  i did say 2kg i ment 2lb sorry  even this may sound excessive but hey im a distributor for the company  so i dont pay full whack one thing i will say to you is keep it covered  with a light sheet and  when temps drop below say 56f  put a blanket over it at night it will soon bang on the lbs good luck

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2012, 20:55:25 »
WOW...I am still in awe...my little jack o lantern is just beginning to go orange...well the blossom end is not quite as dark green...I shall try and post a pic tomorrow...and at the last measurement my pumpkin STILL had a smaller waistline than Me!!!  :P

lisaparkin

• Acre
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2012, 19:55:59 »
Ok, so it's not that big, but here it is!!!!!!

Photo1412 by lisamarieparkin, on Flickr

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2012, 09:05:24 »
Well I am really thrilled now.  It has gone from 61lb to 85lb in 6 days.   Amazing.    Yesterday was perfect pumpkin weather several hours of sunshine and then deluges of rain late afternoon.

Taken a pic, so will post it soon, lost the wire to go between camera and computer.  Dur.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal