Author Topic: Eating in the fifties.  (Read 19866 times)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
Re: Eating in the fifties.
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 00:40:04 »
I'm sorry... but
Black puddings were mined in Bury...  :P

Where ever they were mined I first met them only a few years back on a school trip to Ilkley. We stayed up near the Cow & Calf, had fantastic food all week including breakfasts of the most delicious bacon and black pudding. I swear the 45 children we took up there came back heavier despite the constant exercise and fresh-air.  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 01:32:37 »
Great thread, anyone remeber the old remedies.

I remember my Mum taling a hot cinder out of the fire, dropping it in water and feeding it to a colicky baby.

I also remember "cooling powders" little folds of paper that had quite nice tasting powder in.

I also r,member feeling very posh as we had Haliborange vitamins and my friends had to have cod liver oil..ooh I was such a snob.

My Mum had a Scottish friend who used to make stovies,Mum adapted the recipe to make what we called Yorkshire Stovies. I still make it to this day. Sliced potatoes, tons of onions, salt and pepper, heavy on the pepper and just a little canned corn beef, only a little as it was quite precious in the war. My made us dinner with a can but  saved about 1 inch of it for the stovies for the next meal.
Cook slowly  in a covered  casserole with very little water until the potatoes start to break up, then stir it. It should be like lumpy mash but boy is it good. When I was a kid I used to eat it the next day between slices of bread and butter.

By the way, I have to say I DID eat pasta in the fifties. We had a very weird neighbour who taught me how to make spaghetti when I was about 12, the spaghetti came in long rolls covered in navy blue paper.

I used to go to a boyfriends house whose mother used condensed milk in the tea, the can was always on a table, I used to pinch it by the spoonful when no one was looking.

Great topic, I have had lots of fun reading all your replies.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 09:38:22 »
Hi Jeannine... I remember the dark blue paper tubes of spaghetti not that we ate it very often - spuds from the plot were cheaper.

Corned beef-hash sounds similar to your Yorkshire Stovies - lovely but a fair fat content I'd think because of the corned beef.

• Cod liver oil (the chickens loved it - I hated it!!)
  • Gripe water... I used to pinch my little sisters
  • Radio malt
  • barley twists from the chemists
  • lentils, pulses, split peas and barley - I particularly hated pearl barley as it reminded me of a tooth
  • spotted dick, suet pudding, bread & butter puddings, ground rice, tapioca, semolina

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 10:49:48 »
Corn beef hash has much more meat in  Aden.. I make that too. I made Spotted Dick a few days ago too, the name raises a few eyebrows her.

Cod liver oil and malt..loved that and Horlicks tablets for a treat after we stood in the corridor in our knickers and vest waiting tio see the school doctor, I hated that and I am certain they were all child molesters!!If not why did they all pull our knicker elastic forward and look down. My mother had to bribe me with the Horlicks tablets to go to school that day.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 11:50:16 »

Cod liver oil and malt..loved that and Horlicks tablets for a treat after we stood in the corridor in our knickers and vest waiting tio see the school doctor, I hated that and I am certain they were all child molesters!!If not why did they all pull our knicker elastic forward and look down. My mother had to bribe me with the Horlicks tablets to go to school that day.

XX Jeannine
That made me laugh Jeannine!
My dad loved corned beef till the day he died, think that was a leftover from rationing!!!! I of course was not even a vague notion in the 1950s but my parents remembered it well. They lived in a flat with the first 3 kids in Peckham, in Rye Lane. My mum being a bit of a hopeless cook, dinner was often mince cooked up with some OXO and mashed potatoes... and still was when I was a kid!  That or stew, or a fry up of sorts, or salad if it was hot (just raw veg with Heinz salad cream), or in Oz, lamb chops which were cheap as chips. Lord no wonder I have always been fat even if I don't eat any of that now (Well salad but not that kind)!
I remember in the 70s when my sister learnt how to make spaghetti bolognese, it was completely extraterrestrial to mum and dad! but they came to like it, although you always had to make dad mashed potatoes separately as he wouldn't hear of eating his tea without them!!!  ;D
We kids never would but mum and dad liked liver and bacon and black pudding and mum used to like liverwurst sandwiches, erk erk and also condensed milk sandwiches!  ::) But we did often fight over who had  bread spread with the pan scrapings after the Sunday roast. Even in Australia, in 35 deg heat she would want a cooked joint on Sunday. Funny how old habits stick!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 13:02:06 »
Jeannine you  have reminded me about corn beef. Not my favourite
We also had malt with cod liver oil
And Span and pork luncheon meat and jellied veal.
And Dumplings in the Stew
And overcooked carrots.
And tinned peas.
We had spaggetti in blue paper too.
And the non electric fridge.  A white thing made of a porous clay which you had to keep damp.
And milk kept the cold shed in a bucket of water with a damp cloth on top.
We made fudge from condensed milk.
Perhaps all these fattening food is the reason for the excess weight now.
I am sure the welfare orange juice rotted my teeth

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 13:15:49 »
Not eating, but I remember my mum washing my hair with liquid green soap,  and sometimes Lux soap flakes.  Then she put vinegar in the final rinse. Presumably the bast range of shampoos available now, didn't exist  after the war, or before, for that matter. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 15:29:53 »
My mother always put vinegar in last hair rinse, said it detered the nits.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 20:59:52 »
Nits, oh my goodness don;t go there.

I was very lucky as a child as I never got them but.....

I rmember my mother EVERY DAY after school she would sit me down and go through my hair for ten minutes, rather like a mother chimpanzee, every day, every blooming day,and if I sat on her knee for as cuddle you bet those fingers found their way into my hair, you know I can still feel her fingers now!!

I think tomorrow I am going to make school type stew with dumplings for dinner followed by tapioca or school dinner rice. The rice is cooked completely differnt to the regular rice pudding I would make.

I remember meat pie at school, it came if flat trays and I would never have a side piece as it had too much pastry on. I have some of those school dinner trays, various szes and depths and with lids. I recued them from the dumpster after our school flooded and everything was dumped, they are marked 1948.

XX Jeannine

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 23:58:39 »
Everything bought on the day, gosh it was a long walk to the shops I remember. Meat wrapped in butchers' paper and veg in newspaper, except anything Grandfather brought back from the allotment the day before.

As a little girl at my first school in the 50's I can remember coming home at lunch time to my main cooked meal of the day and I would eat it with my Mum, then seeing my father's same meal sitting on a plate above a steaming saucepan until he came home.

There is a school pudding I remember though, it had a shortcake biscuit base covered with jam then a pink mouse type topping, served warmish. Oh the nostalgia I can taste it now!

Ninny

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 01:18:25 »
We like dumplings and it's usually me that's asked to make them. Good old Atora! There's a vegetarian version now - works quite well.

Give it a go.... try an Atora recipe: Click here.

I used to go home from school for a cooked lunch too and remember my dad coming home from the hospital where he was a gardener. I would have swapped places with him anytime - I was never that keen to rush back to school.   ::)

And... as for those school cooking pots & trays they were brilliant. When our local Education Authority decided to close individual school kitchens (a very forward thinking move prompted, yet again, by government drives to cut costs and improve standards no doubt  ???) I managed to hang onto several flat trays and one enormous cooking pot cauldron sized.

We used the trays with lids for cooking on school camps and I took the big pot home. These days I use it to put the fish in when I clean out the pond. It doubles as a small incinerator when we have a bonfire.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2012, 06:30:13 »
Oh, yes, I remember Mum always reheated Dad's evening meal on a plate, over a saucepan, covered with an enamel plate.  Microwave ovens - what on earth are they?
I remember  in the 50s going into  J Sainsburys in St Albans High St, a small single shop unit, and queueing one side to be served eg butter, then going to the other side for cereal, etc.  What a lot of time we now save by going to the supermarket and only queueing once LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2012, 07:26:50 »
Broken biscuits. A real bargain, I always used to dream of having the real thing out of all the glass covered biscuit display tins that were lined up in front of the counter, but broken ones were all we could afford.  Lovely old corner shops that did a sale or return on a box of Izal (slip and slide) in case you had relatives visiting.

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2012, 08:46:33 »
Broken biscuits. A real bargain, I always used to dream of having the real thing out of all the glass covered biscuit display tins that were lined up in front of the counter, but broken ones were all we could afford.  Lovely old corner shops that did a sale or return on a box of Izal (slip and slide) in case you had relatives visiting.

Remember the blue tissue paper that came with oranges from the grocers. Saved on buying tiolet rolls, we had coloured toilet paper before it was invented. ;)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2012, 08:55:17 »
 ;D @ Lillian blue bum

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2012, 08:58:41 »
Oh, yes, I remember Mum always reheated Dad's evening meal on a plate, over a saucepan, covered with an enamel plate.  Microwave ovens - what on earth are they?
I remember  in the 50s going into  J Sainsburys in St Albans High St, a small single shop unit, and queueing one side to be served eg butter, then going to the other side for cereal, etc.  What a lot of time we now save by going to the supermarket and only queueing once LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember Sainsburys having marble counters, tiled walls and sawdust on the floor. The assistants wore aprons and hand patted their butter. You could buy a single egg if you wanted ;D

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2012, 09:00:51 »
;D @ Lillian blue bum

I don't remember having a blue bum, but the tissue didn't go down the loo to well. ;D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2012, 10:57:08 »
Anyone remember the Co-Op's overhead pulley system for sending money to the cashier in round brass canisters and getting the change back again for the customer?

Sainsburys had loads of staff standing behind each counter some with butter pats and all of them in white.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2012, 11:42:45 »
I certainly remember Sainsbury's that''s where we bought the jellied veal.  You had to queue up at each counter separately.  One for cheese, one for cooked meats, one for eggs and there were several more it took ages.   It was basically a deli but we certainly did not call it that.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2012, 11:56:48 »
I certainly remember Sainsbury's that''s where we bought the jellied veal.  You had to queue up at each counter separately.  One for cheese, one for cooked meats, one for eggs and there were several more it took ages.   It was basically a deli but we certainly did not call it that.

You are right about it taking ages some days. I wonder, are modern supermarkets quicker?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal