Author Topic: Public Liability Insurance  (Read 9361 times)

powerspade

• Hectare
Public Liability Insurance
« on: July 21, 2012, 06:31:58 »
When I took over as Sec of our allotments I found out that there has been no public liabiltiy insurance for our site since it became self governing in 2003. I have all the forms filled in but as to date the rest of the commitee will not counter sign the cheque for the insurance. So if anyone has a accident there is no provision for cover. On top of that I find that if anyone  buys the chaiman a pint he will give any tom dick or harry a plot with no Tanancy aggreement  this has resulted in myself and the chairman having a few choice words. So I have now called it a day and as from the 31st July 2012 I  will be resigning as Secreatry and Treasuere of our allotment I have given 28 days notice and asked for a meeting but the chairman refuses to organise or support a meeting so from the 31st of July no bills will be paid that mean that the water will be cut of and also the peppercorn rent to the Council for the lease will not get paid. The membership think that I am joking and although I have tried to tell them that things have to be done properly they simply think that I am making a mountain out of a mole hill. I just had a grant for £4000.00 and  we now  have a  Steel container, rotavator, strimmer, and upgraded the water system. I have arranged for free training to use the eqoipment but again they think it a joke thats untill someone has a accident I asked that certain safety eqiupment should be prurchased such as Ear muffs and head gear to be used for the machines but of no avail . Could some one tell me am I being silly in wanting these things or are they right to think I`m a idiot.

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
Re: Public Liability Insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 06:44:14 »
Hi Powerspade. You are not being an idiot, the others are. Surely they can see the sense in the insurance. and the need for safety equipment. To have someone who is committed to the best for the site is an asset but unfortunately some people do not like their boat rocked. It is a shame that you feel it necessary to resign but without support it can be a very lonely road. The other plot holders, can they not back you or are they all of the 'I only want to come here and work my plot' brigade. Don't want to get involved with the politics'? I do hope that something happens to make you reconsider and that you find support.  It would be a shame for a site to collapse because people are being selfish. Good luck with whatever you do.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 07:42:01 »
Powerspade no you are most certainly not an idiot.  Walk away and don't feel guilty about doing so.
It's easy to say but difficult to do but at the end of the day it's yourself you need to care about not people like that.

Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 08:37:00 »
It is our tenancy agreement that we have to indemnify the council against any claim that might be made. We took out insurance when there were still some Gr***y old G**s about and got some grief over it, but now there is a consensus that it is necessary. You must have  a lot of GoG's or have you G y G's or G s G's ??? ???  Do not feel bad, things change and more enlightened people will come along.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 09:00:24 »
Perhaps you should explain to the chairman and the committee who is liable should an accident happen.
A this pressent time as secretary you and the chairman are the first in line to be sued and if the claiments soliciter does not get you two they will get the committee and as some one has to pay, if you do not have insurance then any claims against you will have to be paid from your own pockets.

If you want your allotments to be run properly then fight them, get an AGM by what ever means within your constitution and rules and let the members decide on who and how the allotments are going to be run.

If you dont want the fight then pack it in now dont wait till the end of the month and when plot holders ask why make it very clear to them about what is going on.

When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 09:55:49 »
The trustees are liable on our agreeement with the council, I made it clear that without trustees there would be no site, and that we would not agree to be trustees without insurance. Most of us would be bankrupted if a case was taken to court and loose our homes to pay for solicitors fees and a claim. If anyone is prepared to let that happen to you to save themselves a few quid a year they are  >:( >:( >:( . If you feel you cannot win this battle let someone else take responsibility, but as Davyboi says make it clear why they have lost a good secretary.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 10:12:09 »
It always sticks in my craw a tad that the committee could, potentially, be sued...how can it be when we are all working as volunteers...when I took over as sec ( apart from handling the money I do everything) there was no guidelines for me to follow, I had to find my own way, take advice from other sites/meetings/here and create my own template for the role. I have never signed anything to admit responsibility for the site or anything like it, so how can I be sued?
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 11:55:08 »
Code: [Select]
I have never signed anything to admit responsibility for the site or anything like it, so how can I be sued?
I truly understand how you are feeling..but the fact is..verbal agreement to 'run things' is same as signing on dotted line and agreeing take responsibility to direct 'the boat'.
When you are in position of making decisions..you are in position of being on front of 'firing line'.. ::)
Always make sure that any letters that are posted to members are signed as 'on the behalf of the committee..' so there is no individual personal involvement other than you passing the info as secretary and as part of the 'group'.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 12:07:09 »
Cheers goodlife, I learnt that one the hard way ;)

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 12:52:39 »
It always sticks in my craw a tad that the committee could, potentially, be sued...how can it be when we are all working as volunteers...when I took over as sec ( apart from handling the money I do everything) there was no guidelines for me to follow, I had to find my own way, take advice from other sites/meetings/here and create my own template for the role. I have never signed anything to admit responsibility for the site or anything like it, so how can I be sued?

Absolutly but it can happen, and some people cannnot resist the opportunity to get "compo"  ???

Quote from goodlife
I truly understand how you are feeling..but the fact is..verbal agreement to 'run things' is same as signing on dotted line and agreeing take responsibility to direct 'the boat'.
When you are in position of making decisions..you are in position of being on front of 'firing line'.. Roll

Quote from elvis2003

Cheers goodlife, I learnt that one the hard way Wink

I think we have all been up the same learning curve!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 13:32:30 »
No insurance, no tenancy agreements, no meetings....  Sounds like the lot I took over from! 

Powerspade, you're certainly not being an idiot.  Running something - anything - implies responsibility, not just power.  What do the rest of the members think?  If they all agree with your chairman, find yourself another site, but if even some of them disagree, fight him and get someone from the 21st century doing the job!

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 13:47:18 »
Thank you for you support and comments I`m putting up a notice to tell them that my resignation will take immediate effect. I cannot afford any compensation claim against me as I`m a OAP, I only took on the job because no one else wanted it. The Chairman rarely will attend meetings  as he can never be found other that in a pub. I called a meeting a couple of weeks ago and out of a membership of 20 only 3 turned up. I have made arrangements for all the members to get free training to use the machinery properly  by Caerphilly Groundforce but none of them want to bother The comment I have had are "we`ll muck through it ourselves (Idiots). I also have began to look for another plot but I have to stay on my plot for the moment as I have a lot of stuff coming up to harvest. I think that my responsibilities will cease as soon as I gave my immediate notice in today I shall add to the notice that I leave to to the chairman to arrange a AGM which buy the way I asked for 2 months ago but he don't want to bother.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 19:40:04 »
I don't think you've got any choice but to walk away from these idiots, but you can still fight back and establish a new committee to do things properly.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 20:45:53 »
Its a real shame that these people are so short sighted they failed to realise how enthusiastic you are and what an asset you could be to the site. Good luck and keep us informed how you get on,at least you know this is one place you will be given support

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 21:18:52 »
Its a real shame that these people are so short sighted they failed to realise how enthusiastic you are and what an asset you could be to the site. Good luck and keep us informed how you get on,at least you know this is one place you will be given support
Yes I `m very enthusiastic with regards to allotments. To some its just a hobby, to me its a passion. I started gardening when I was a nipper and I took over the garden at my parents when I was 11 yrs old (That's 57 yrs ago) I had great plans for our site such as a new large shed to hold meetings (the old shed was burnt down by the Chairman a couple of years ago) also I was going to ask if they would like to join the new federation in our valley which has just been set up so that we could  buy seed, seed potatoes, Onion sets etc  and manure, lime and all the other things needed at cut prices. I had dreams of a show piece site just like St Julians allotments in Newport. But the chairman lives in a world not of this planet. Anyway I have now done the deed and my resignation is now on the notice board for all to see. I have sent the chairman a letter of my resignation and asked him to call to collect all the paperwork. When he sees whats involved he will have a shock.  I have even put it on facebook. Funny thing is as everyone knows its very hard to find a plot these days but someone has seen my facebook message and allready I had been invited to take on another plot at a site nearby. I have an interview with the committee tomorrow at 3.00pm

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 21:40:51 »
Best of luck tomorrow then, your best out of it, if it was me I take the power tools away if there's no insurance.  :-*
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

pumkinlover

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 22:32:32 »
good luck, sounds like you have been "head hunted" :)

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 07:47:09 »
Good Luck Powerspade. I hope it all works out well for you with the new site. I am sure you will be an assest to them

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 09:31:00 »
Funny thing is as everyone knows its very hard to find a plot these days but someone has seen my facebook message and allready I had been invited to take on another plot at a site nearby. I have an interview with the committee tomorrow at 3.00pm

Thats because some people know a good thing when they see one! I wonder if they need a secretary....... ;)

Good for you to choose get out before it becomes a serious problem. The worse thing is they will probably get away with it.
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

blackkitty2

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 10:59:16 »
Good luck Powerspade in your future endeavours, and more fool those who have made you leave and their ungratefulness. If only we had someone like you on our allotments organising insurance, getting grants, equipment and organising training. What a bunch of muppets they must be. Shame you couldn't get rid of the Chairman with a vote of no confidence, but that would mean getting your sloth-like members to get up and do something.

'Tis their loss and they suck big time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal