Author Topic: Xmarks  (Read 3212 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Xmarks
« on: July 14, 2012, 12:56:36 »
I was wondering if anybody out there used this app to synchronise their internet bookmarks? I have use of a desktop and laptop and tend to switch between IE, Firefox and Chrome internet browsers depending on what i am doing on the 'net. So i need to have the same bookmarks available. Xmarks seemed the ideal solution. Which it was for a while until a recent problem with the Xmarks servers, since when i have got into a right mess. Bookmarks have been duplicated several times when syncing and when i try deleting (even from the Xmarks server) what i don't want they seem to come back the next time i synchronise (unless i painstakingly delete the same things from server and browser at the same time).

Getting a bit frustrated and disappointed. I have loads of bookmarks and half the time i cant find the ones i want to use!!

I suppose i should rationalise and just use one browser and just have the bookmarks on that, but when you get a problem with a browser its good to be able to switch to another one and carry on as before.

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Re: Xmarks
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 22:10:41 »
I suppose i should rationalise and just use one browser and just have the bookmarks on that

Yup.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 09:17:06 »
I suppose i should rationalise and just use one browser and just have the bookmarks on that

Yup.

Thanks. Very Helpful. Then you get a problem with a browser and you're stuffed.

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 23:46:07 »
Sorry if I seemed unhelpful there, I thought you were overcomplicating things. I didn't mean any offense, I should have explained myself instead of giving a one word answer.

FF as a single browser has always worked for me, and IE before I started using FF. Wouldn't touch Chrome with someone else's since it's Google, but you should generally be OK on a single browser and might have to try another if (rarely) a web page doesn't work with it. You could also keep your bookmarks localised to one browser and copy and paste the link into the one you want to use. Maybe you're using the web for something a bit more complicated than I understand though.

IMO bookmarks are great but when you get far too many the handy system breaks down. I reinstall my machine every 6 months and it's very uncommon for a bookmark to make from the old install to the new. Never miss them.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 17:23:51 »
Gordonmull, i do see your point, but sometimes it is useful to have a link bookmarked to avoid a lengthy search. I have perhaps got to the point where a rethink is needed. Perhaps i will do as you suggest, have the main bookmarks stored on one browser and copy and paste as needed to another if nessesary. perhaps then i will end up with  a core of the most needed ones!

Sorry if i seemed a bit rude/blunt in the earlier post

Thanks

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 17:43:02 »
You could try something like http://delicious.com which allows you to import your bookmarks and keep em online - I dont use it but it may be of use to you..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

retro

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 00:43:15 »
When you install a browser, it'll usually ask if you want to import your bookmarks from Internet Explorer.  Let it do that.  Then it's simply a question of adding a bookmark to all browsers in future  ;)

Alternatively, you could take advantage of the different browsers and get in the habit of using a different browser for  different bookmarks.  You say you switch accordingly anyway, so that should be simple.  Use Chrome for shopping, Firefox for research... or whatever system suits you.  Or you could choose a browser and stick to it ;)

You could just use Google Bookmarks, though!

http://www.google.com/bookmarks/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 10:34:14 »
When you install a browser, it'll usually ask if you want to import your bookmarks from Internet Explorer.  Let it do that.  Then it's simply a question of adding a bookmark to all browsers in future  ;)

Alternatively, you could take advantage of the different browsers and get in the habit of using a different browser for  different bookmarks.  You say you switch accordingly anyway, so that should be simple.  Use Chrome for shopping, Firefox for research... or whatever system suits you.  Or you could choose a browser and stick to it ;)

You could just use Google Bookmarks, though!

http://www.google.com/bookmarks/

Importing from one browser to another is only of limited benefit. Doesnt really help with syncing bookmarks between PCs for example, like Xmarks is supposed to do.  I suppose if i could settle on a browser which allows synching bookmarks between PCs running the same browser (Chrome and Firefox do this but not IE) then that would get away from relying on Xmarks.

I have a google account and have used Google book marks but found it harder to manage and add to so have tended to revert to the easier to use browser bookmarks. Will look again though. Thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal