Author Topic: PolyCarbonate Sheeting  (Read 10275 times)

skypilot

• Quarter Acre
    • Photo Page
PolyCarbonate Sheeting
« on: February 27, 2005, 13:53:39 »
Has anyone used polycarbonate sheeting for glazing a green house?

I have a 17ft x 6ft  x 7ft greenhouse on my allotment which is in need of a lot of TLC.

Would it be cheaper to replace the damaged glass and other various materials used to protect the greenhouse with polycarbonate ?

Is it more expensive than glass ?

Will it protect the greenhouse from stone damage?

I understand that there is Twin Wall, Triple Wall and i have even seen Five wall polycarbonate, what is the difference between these?

What other glazing material could I use as a cheaper alternative to glass which would provide some protection from stone damage.?

I notice on some local churches they have a sort of perspex material to protect Stained Glass windows, is this a form of polycarbonate?

Where can one obtain this material ?

Sorry about all the questions,  :)

Here are some pics of my allotment  & others!!!

http://community.webshots.com/album/286599773CoPRDK

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
Re: PolyCarbonate Sheeting
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 14:47:13 »
Hi Skypilot,
                  Polycarbonate is real good material for greenhouses and is a lot tougher .I have replaced a lot of glass with some twin walled polycarbonate.But I got this given off someone who was replacing it on a conservatory roof ..
I found that this can be clipped in using normal glass clips...
Think you will find any poly carbonate alternative to glass maybe a  lot    more expensive....cheers Jim..
Cheers .. Jim

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 15:51:57 »
We use single & twin - both V expensive. Our cloches are made up of 4 pieces of single - 2'x1' - @ £2.50 a piece. Google DIY Plastics.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 17:41:27 »
Hi Sky...my greenhouse 12'x10' is made from this material, bought secondhand and definately does not give as much light as (even) horticultural glass, but toms still growable.Not good in the wind either unless well fastened.Had a problem last year with germinating seedlings thru the propogator, then thru the polycarbonate as well, lack of sufficient light.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 18:23:15 »
can you go down to your local tip and see what you can scavenge?

better to reuse than have stuff added to the landfill
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 19:19:56 »
Svea; It's a real pity that 'tips' (here they're called container parks) don't allow the public to scavenge around the tips. The amount of stuff that could be re-used is enormous, and yet the councils still insist on tipping or burning the stuff. Look at all the wood that could be recycled as just one example.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 19:22:49 »
hmm, i am sure it's not totally kosher here either, but have you tried talking to a council worker? they may be happy to turn a blind eye :)

just a thought
ours are quite helpful.
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

skypilot

• Quarter Acre
    • Photo Page
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 21:48:46 »
Thanks for your advice folks :)

The green house I have at the moment is as previously stated is like a patch work quilt of various materials, glass, some polycarbonate (or perspex), fibre glass - you name it.
Obviously this patchwork does effect the light in the greenhouse which on a dull day is somewhat subdued.

I appreciate that PC is expensive, a 3mx700mmx10mm Twin wall sheet runs at about  £25, but my main concern is material strength and heat a light retention capabilities.

Thats a good suggestionSvea but unfortunately one is not allowed to take material from skips in Dundee, it is a fineable offence and I would think that such material might be damaged in some way thus supressing its light properties or strength.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 07:19:37 »
I have opinions on this, but safer to talk to the suppliers?

And remember there's a 'life' to most of these things.

skypilot

• Quarter Acre
    • Photo Page
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 09:13:30 »
Unfortunately, suppliers opinions are for the most part, biassed, which is why I prefer to have the opinions of those with "hands on" experience . If you have adverse opinions or otherwise  Tim, then chuck them in  :)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 12:18:36 »
I hear what you say!  I am NOT an expert on this.

But, with a guarantee behind them, I do believe that DIYP can give sound advice - if asked the right questions - info@diyplas.co.uk or 0870 4442622.

Comment?
Nothing is perfect. Nothing is as clear as glass. Poly looks it new, but it collects grime more than glass. And it scratches. Yes - shatterproof, I would think, but maybe not so much so if frozen?? And, obviously, not as structurally stiff if it has to contribute to the strength of a 'house.

Any cavity sheeting must (?) be warmer than single sheets. But, equally, cannot possibly have the clarity of glass.

And, surely, LIGHT is more important than warmth in almost every situation??
This is a piece of 8 year old cloche poly - unwashed - against the 'real' stuff.

And I thought that I was the 'skypilot'??

skypilot

• Quarter Acre
    • Photo Page
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2005, 19:28:56 »

Thanks for your comments Tim, they were very helpful as indeed was the photograph.

I had a quick look at the DIYPlas website which was interesting, I plan on spending more time persusing it later. Thanks again

And I thought that I was the 'skypilot'??

Perhaps you are, there are lots of us about  ;D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 18:25:32 »
Like whom - show me - elsewhere perhaps??
Meanwhile, I'm guarding my pitch!!

PS Apologies to the real oldies who may have seen this before.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 18:54:45 by tim »

skypilot

• Quarter Acre
    • Photo Page
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2005, 10:31:58 »
Hmmm  8)  Impressive, can't beat that ;D

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2005, 11:05:26 »
(Tim whos handsome pic did you steal for that one then?  :P)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 11:16:22 »
Quiet chuckle.

It was, of course, exactly 60 years ago. These days I don't even look in shop windows when I pass. Anyway, it's the plane that I fancy!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 17:27:48 »
I'm choosing plexiglas or polycarb for my allotment just for SAFETY reasons not its insulation or letting light in  properties.  I am fed up with broken glass on my plot.  I have spent so much time collecting it up that I've done little else.  It's not just mine but all newbies are facing the same uphill struggle to get rid of the flaming stuff.  You can't kneel down for fear of it severing your kneecap.  We can't have the kids and the dog on the plot yet for fear of cut feet etc until we've cleared every last bit.  Trouble is more keeps coming to the surface. 

So it's plastic for us  - never mind the clarity, heat retention or whatever

Glass is great when it's used sensibly but invariably it aint and those who come after have to suffer.  Glass on the allotments is getting as bad a name as asbestos.  Grr it makes my blood boil  >:(
I came, I saw, I composted

skypilot

• Quarter Acre
    • Photo Page
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2005, 19:55:47 »
You have my sympathy Wardy I am in the process of cleaning up bits and pieces of glass left by the last "resident".The entire back wall of my greenhouse is protected by a patchwork of fibreglass on the inside of which is shattered glass panes about 4ft square which have still to be removed  >:(

I have a dedicated bucket to deposit the stuff in and when it gets full - its off to the skip :)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2005, 21:45:51 »
So do I!  I fill it and take it straight to the skip.  I've taken about 4 loads of it and it keeps coming >:(

it's all right taking it to the skip but then I worry about what they are doing with it.  I hope it's all recyclable.

I came, I saw, I composted

Kevins299

• Not So New ...
  • live life to the full.......
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2005, 09:04:34 »
having recently also having been given a 2nd hand greenhouse as a "generous" gift  ( or as an easier option than trying to get rid of it themsleves) we are faced with the re glazing of it ::) but need to decide which is best. this string has been useful and definitely the safety aspect is also paramount. we have a poly tunnel also so we have the bulk of growing in there, and intend to use the greenhouse as a seedling area. the concern is the light diffference between PC and glass. would PC be ok for seedling growth when light is need, but warmth is a factor? ???

the nice thing was that we were able to carry the frame intact from the one allotment across to our allotment, so no assembly process needed except for having to find new base wood as the previous was rather rotten. any ideas where one can get cheap railways sleepers delivered. (dont have a car, only a bicycle and a trailer)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal