Author Topic: Awful weather making me realise I tend to grow veg I don't really like that much  (Read 3017 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Hi everyone, first let me say I am really sorry for anyone who is struggling to get their courgettes/squash type plants to produce a harvest for them. All of mine completely failed this year due to the awful weather.
I had sown 25 plants, a wide variety of types etc. I usually give at least half my allotment to growing Winter, Summer squash & courgettes. So I was initially very upset that all the plants had failed to thrive....

BUT... (& this has totally shocked me) ...when I bought some courgettes & butternut squash I found that I just didn't fancy eating them all that much.
In the end I did eat the courgettes simply because they were going to go past their best if I didn't, the butternuts are still sitting on the work top & not inspiring me at all.
May be I am just due a year off from them as I usually eat so many every single year for the last 5 years  ???
But it has got me wondering if I actually really like them all that much :-\ Do I just eat them because I have grown them? Do I really need to have 50 winter squash waiting to be eaten taking up space in the house etc? Would I actually be happy to just buy one or two squash a year?

The same with beetroot, I haven't had success with them this year. I usually have loads & eat loads. Am I missing them - No, not one tiny bit!

So this awful weather may actually be doing me a favour as it is going to make me really think long & hard about what veg I really really want to eat, love to eat, crave etc. Which veg I would like to have a 'holiday' from growing/eating.

I was wondering if anyone else has found that some of the crops that have failed for them this year they aren't actually missing eating???
xJane

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Funny that......I grew just 6 lettuce in modules to plant out. I never did and I didnt miss them either. I have some dwarf kale....we have eaten once from them, I just dont fancy it. Ithink its more the poor summer that has affected me personally.

Ive got 1 tomato plant and 3 peppers, and I dont care if they dont fruit.......I love toms as well. Give yourself a bit of time, we might have a late summer that will recharge us.

;) :)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Hi Star, yes it could be just the rubbish Summer that is affecting my taste buds/what I fancy to eat as I am craving slow cooker beef/venison type stews, Shepherd's pie, lasagne etc - heavy, carby, comfort foods that I would most definitely not usually want at this time of year at all  ;) 
I guess the real test will be during the Winter - will I miss having Winter Squash to eat whenever I fancy them? Only time will tell  ;) xjane

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
I usually grow lots of squash and pumpkins although I don't really eat them but I love giving them away to people who do enjoy eating them.  That is what I will miss the most - the sheer pleasure in presenting people with stuff.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
I am going to miss home grown carrots big time.  But I do not particularly like lettuce.  Planted out several and they went to seed before I had touched them.  Though I grow them I do not like onions or leeks.

I have a squash left from last year.

Bing

• Quarter Acre
maybe we are forgetful when the first time we tasted something we grew ourself...

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
I steamed carrots yesterday, my husband doesn't like carrots by the way  but I put them on his plate as I insist he eat some veggies, he commented on how nice they were.

So my thought it, if you didn't grow your own and you bought it from the store with many things you would lose that wow factor that you get with home grown.

I am not sure if with some veggies it wouldn't matter but think of home grown tomatoes versus store bought, or strawberries or new potatoes. However celery is one I don't grow much and I am not so sure it matters much with lettuce.

Of course there is also the organic versus chemical thing too. I am totally organic and that feels good whatever the taste.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Hi Lottie Lou, yes I will definitely miss the pleasure of giving away lots of lovely winter squash to friends & neighbours & I won't have a home grown pumpkin to carve at Halloween this year either.    

Hi Digeroo, I love leeks but I'm not growing any this year so they will definitely be on my list for next year.
I'm not keen on spring onions or white onions so I am going to have a year off from them.

Hi Bing, I am eagerly awaiting tasting some new varieties of Kale I'm growing this year so yes I do think you have a very valid point....I think I have bored myself with some veg by growing it every year.

I am going to really re think what veg I grow this Autumn, Winter & next year - time to try some new things & time to take a break from others  ;) xJane

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Hi Jeannine we must have posted at the same time  ;D

Yes I totally agree it has to be organic for me too as I have a very compromised immune system that reacts badly to a lot of preservatives, colourings etc.

xJane

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Then you MUST keep growing your own.

I think the weather has taken the thrill away.

Nothing can compare to watching seeds sprout, start growing and then fill out into productive mature plants.

There is no fun digging in a quadmire filled with straggly bits of green hanging on for life. It makes me just want to walk away and shut the door behind me... but...

Next year therte  is always the hope that we will be digging in warm soft earth again.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
i grow  onions, peas, potatoes,.broadbeans, carotts, swede  thing that i can add meat ,.fish ,. and chicken, to make a decent meal with. if i want tomatoes ect i buy as wanted. and i dont grow organic-why should i let all the nastys nibble my crops

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
I stopped growing kale as no one in my place will eat it. Ditto for broad beans (even though I like them). So this winter, I am growing swiss chard, which we like, sprouts, leeks, cabbages and we will have our pumpkins etc to see us through.
I tried mizuna this year, it's very nice but has been so prolific! we are getting a little fed up with it!

I also grew too many potatoes this year, they are coming out of our ears. Oh well, live and learn!

PS home grown courgettes are much nicer than the watery things you buy!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Kea

• Hectare
It works the other way for me, my oh won't eat lots of things but when it comes from the allotment he will usually eat it because it's t
ender and tastes better.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
I eat whatever I am able to harvest first before the beasties and weather get to them ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal