Author Topic: Removing tomato leaves  (Read 2996 times)

cestrian

• Half Acre
Removing tomato leaves
« on: July 01, 2012, 19:37:46 »
Is there any benefit to removing tomato leaves to improve air flow? It's getting a bit crowded in the green house now the toms are filling out.

I seem to remember a guide that was going round the internet a few years ago that said you could drastically improve yield by removing most of the leaves, but I'm not brave enough to try it.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: Removing tomato leaves
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 19:51:42 »
You wont improve the yeil by removing leaves but it is done to improve ventilation.
Its normal practice to remove all the leaves below the first truss but only a couple at a time so not to stress the plant.
you can remove other leaves further up the stem more so the ones that are intruding into another plants space, again be carfull you dont stress the plant and always snap the leaf stem upwards first.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 20:23:33 »
I do pretty much as Davyw1's written. I've never tried removing the majority of tomato leaves, it doesn't quite seem right? From what I understand much of a tomatoes sweetness and flavour is supplied from the leaves to the fruit.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

cestrian

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 23:59:49 »
OK thanks, I'll try removing up to the first truss.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 00:48:00 »
Be Brave! :) You can remove up to 2/3rds of the tomato foliage, particularly the very large leaves and it won't affect fruiting at all. In fact it will improve fruiting.

They will grow more leaves that will again need removing once the plants get overcrowded again.

Tomatoes grow many more leaves than they need. By drasticly reducing the amount of foliage you allow more airflow, more light to reach the fruit, and keep the plants drier thus reducing the blight risk.

My tomatoes get this treatment every year and I always get bumper crops right to the end of the season. :)

I know it doesn't feel right to remove so much but believe me it works.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 00:50:05 by ed dibbles »

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 21:17:57 »
I also remove leaves for ventilation and light. The stem is green and feeds the plants and my tomato fruits are looking great, removing the leaves helps the fruits a lot. I have had my fourth bight warning so it is just a matter of time re the outdoor ones and I intend to remove more leaves in a few days

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 19:36:34 »
I have finished my leaf removal and each plant is down to four or five leaves with a nice bit of space around the plants now. Tbh they seem to like it, I am keeping them fed and the watering is nice and steady. They are doing well and the fruits are getting big enough

harrys dad

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 06:26:05 »
This thread has helped me out enormously. Didn't know you could remove so much foliage. Thanks guys.   :o
Mick.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 08:06:20 »
Will definitely remove lots of leaves from mine as they are in a very shady greenhouse.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 08:31:14 »
I did this sort of instinctively last year as I had too many plants and it was all very overcrowded.  Thank you for reminding me of this- I've started a progressive and calm leaf removal process.  Our greenhouse is very shady and I guess it makes use of all the available light.  There's so little sun around at the moment!

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 13:33:04 »
I just had to call in and say that my tomatoes are visibly growing bigger, day by day and many are the size of expensive vine ripened in supermarkets. I also stopped at 4 trusses as summer is so bad so have no unopened buds now and have a fighting chance of a good crop. Doesn`t pay to expect too much

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal