Author Topic: Plotment  (Read 8251 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Plotment
« on: July 21, 2012, 09:25:04 »
I am on a private  site which is not officially an Allotment ie Allotment Acts do not apply.  We do not have the right for example to keep chicken.

Our farmer has now coined a new word Plotment.  I really like it.  Then it can be shorted to Plottie.

So now I am going to refer to my Plotment.

I would really like to find a way of convincing more farmers to give over land to Plotments.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Plotment
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 09:44:44 »
Plotment is nice name ;D  ..but as far as 'Allotment Act not applying', well it does. Our allotment is private site too.
I don't know how legal (officially) it is if the farmer to call his site for plotments to get away from Allotment Act..but I'm sure that if challenged he would not get away with it...plotment is not official name for 'business plan'... ::)..with or without chickens the main purpose for the land use is set to be as 'allotments'.
The site could be called 'xxx-gardens' or some other name without actual 'allotments' word appearing on the name and the Allotment Act will still apply if the use of the land is registered as such.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 13:29:27 »
We only rent the land for 11 months at a time, the contract says vegetable growing areas.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 13:35:21 »
When the farmer changed his land from agricultural use from 'vegetable growing areas' he had to apply (planning rules) for the change of use..I'm quite sure he had put it down 'proper term' for it..what ever term he has used..it will be 'alloments' or 'gardens' or something else but he won't get away with it..with world play..they are allotments..

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 13:35:54 »
Sounds like he's coined a new word to evade responsibility under the Allotments Act! Why only 11 months? Which month can't you cultivate in? Does he physically lock you all out then?

I think you ought to phone NSALG.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 14:41:08 »
Our farmer looks after us big time.  No complaints here.  

The name was coined as a bit of fun.  As stated contract for vegetable growing area.  

As far as I am aware no change of use has occurred it is still classified as agricultural land.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 14:47:50 by Digeroo »

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 14:43:45 »
Too many restrictions and problems will put off other farmers.  We need more plots not more red tape.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 18:07:54 »
That's what our grandson calls our plot  ;D

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 18:20:56 »
When the farmer changed his land from agricultural use from 'vegetable growing areas' he had to apply (planning rules) for the change of use..I'm quite sure he had put it down 'proper term' for it..what ever term he has used..it will be 'alloments' or 'gardens' or something else but he won't get away with it..with world play..they are allotments..

Not so - turning agricultural land into allotments is not considered a "change of use" by Council Planning Depts.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 19:28:22 »
I am on a private  site which is not officially an Allotment ie Allotment Acts do not apply.  We do not have the right for example to keep chicken.
Yes you do.  Section 12(1) Allotments Act 1950:
Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary in any lease or tenancy or in any covenant, contract or undertaking relating to the use to be made of any land, it shall be lawful for the occupier of any land to keep, otherwise than by way of trade or business, hens or rabbits in any place on the land and to erect or place and maintain such buildings or structures on the land as reasonably necessary for that purpose:

Provided that nothing in this subsection shall authorise any hens or rabbits to be kept in such a place or in such a manner as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance or affect the operation of any enactment.
Any land, not just land let by Councils under the 1908 Act.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 19:41:33 »
We're called 'Guinea Gardens', and before that we were 'Leisure Gardens'. We've never been called allotments, but the Allotments Act still applies!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 21:27:07 »
Nice to hear from you Simon, if your happy Dig then there's no problem.  :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 22:57:17 »
I'm very happy.

Actually the landshare scheme does not call itself allotments either.

I think maybe the this act may be actually preventing farmers from letting out pieces of land if tenants get rights which they are not happy about.

I like growing veg and having somewhere to escape to.  We have nature reserves on three sides so it is a nature wonderland.   

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 20:16:10 »
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 22:03:10 »
Nice to see you too.  How are things with you? 

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 22:56:37 »
Nice to see you too.  How are things with you? 
Not too bad thanks.  I'm busy enough this years so I'm not missing the allotment too much.  I'm making some effort to find a bit of growing space somewhere for next year and I have a couple of possibles, but nothing form yet.  Cheers.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 04:24:01 »
Not too bad thanks.  I'm busy enough this years so I'm not missing the allotment too much.  I'm making some effort to find a bit of growing space somewhere for next year and I have a couple of possibles, but nothing form yet.  Cheers.

I wish you lived in Birmingham.....................

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 06:29:19 »
Haven't been on much last week cos I've been poorly but how lovely it was to come on here and see that special name on here again :).I too wished he lived in Brum Betty
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 22:07:00 »
Squash, shirlton - thank you my friends. :)

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 01:02:16 »
The talk about names just reminded me what my young daughter used to call it when she was a toddler. Alumpent.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal