Author Topic: White rot - just so I know....!!  (Read 4694 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: White rot - just so I know....!!
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2005, 18:51:09 »
Most of my shallots last year were pretty soggy by the time I realised what was going on.  In fact, they were squidgy!  Never had that with my leeks though, in fact, leeks and spring onions seem to escape the ravages of the rot!  Fingers crossed it was just plant damage that rotted.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2005, 23:30:31 »
EJ - yes, I hope so too!

I've emailed the RHS in case but so far had a deafening silence.  I thought I'd have a better chance fo a sane reply if I emailed rather than phoned, but I've not got forever given the state of the leek if they want me to send it so I'll phone them tomorrow. If nothing else, I'm now curious! (Bad state for a scientist...)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2005, 10:22:58 »
Reply from RHS which I'm posting because it's useful info.  I am writing back to thank the Advisory for their help.

Many thanks for your email.  Leeks are prone to certain virus diseases and these may be involved.  This is of no significance unless you intend to propagate from this plant, as remaining leek crops will soon be discarded.  Viruses will not lurk to infest following crops.

Sometimes yellowing involves root disease or disorder - again there is no cause for concern as such diseases and disorders will probably not infest subsequent crops.  White rot is another matter.

White rot requires warm soil and will show up in summer.  Your leeks seem to have been fine until now, so it is more likely that other causes are involved.

It is certainly prudent to discard this leek complete with roots and adjacent soil, but there is no need to undertake other, more drastic,  measures.

We would be happy to examine samples of course, but I don't feel there is cause for concern just yet.

phew

moonbells (who's going to ditch the soil anyway - just in case)
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2005, 11:08:14 »
Moonbells :D

For little effort on your part................you've now[ peace of Mind.]....Well done 8)
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

Carrie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2005, 17:42:01 »
Don't want to cause an outbreak of worry Moonbells - but where are you based? In this months KG there is an article on a new pest called the Allium leaf miner which is affecting mainly leeks but appears to be limited to the greater Wolverhampton area.

Carrie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2005, 17:43:45 »
Sorry hit send before I had finished - there is a website www.defra.gov.uk/planth/pestnote/allium

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2005, 22:15:18 »
Thanks Carrie - don't think it's that - the leaves weren't holed, just pale yellow.

The website addy needs a .pdf on the end by the way :)

That article has told me something else I needed to know - the size of leek moths (8-9mm long) as they aren't very far from here now and I know sooner or later I'm going to have to enviromesh all my alliums anyway. Grr.

Meanwhile my current sets are hiding under a minipolytunnel to try and give them a boost - I suspect they'll need it after this weekend!

moonbells

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal