Author Topic: LEMONS  (Read 3532 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
LEMONS
« on: June 29, 2012, 16:37:03 »
Are these too meaty to do Preserved Lemons or Lemon Relish?

= Tim

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
Re: LEMONS
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 20:52:59 »
I don't think so. Do you mean the North African way where you almost quarter them and stuff them with salt and pack into jars? I used that method this Spring with jars of lemons, limes and blood oranges, also a tiny jar of kumquats. I found you need some spare fruit to provide top up juice as the fruit ought to be covered. They are very salty so after rinsing any you take out to use in cooking you'd not want to include any extra salt. Excellent flavour though.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 09:55:23 »
Yes - thanks. Worried because they weigh up to 450g!!

Can't see any merit in the world-wide method. I always need to separate them for use.

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 12:50:39 »
G'won then Tim = we know you're a whizz-bang grower but how did you manage to grow such whoppers at altitude in such an abysmal summer - or, fess up, where did they come from?

btw in answer to your question = no probs, I'd invest heavily in Bombay Sapphire - but I would say that, wouldn't I?

Love = Lishka X

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 13:14:12 »
Good to hear from you, Lishka .

Brought from a friend's garden in Majorca yesterday.

Sapphire? Whenever I sign prints for a couple of people,the pay PAT in Sapphire!!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 13:16:45 »
Have you been your holiday Tim?..looks very interesting variety of goodies on your kitchen counter...and those lemons, WOW..looks like 'proper' straight from the tree ones and not any 'old' supermarket fruit.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 13:25:33 »
No - No 2 Son!!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 14:37:53 »
They do look the real thing don't they. I was on holiday  a couple of years ago in Portugal, my friend lives there. We visited a farmers market & her sister looked at the produce & remarked that they wouldn't sell those in supermarkets :o ::). I think that says it all really ;D.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 09:55:01 »
grannyjanny, I love the farmer's markets here in France, when the old 'uns bring out their garden plums and peaches and apples and grapes and you see all manner of tomatoes, curved cucumbers, melons of all shapes and sizes. They are delicious and the odder the shape, the better!  In Portugal I seem to remember that the market was very rudimentary and a lot of the sellers looked very poor but the produce was huge, potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, courgettes and quite a lot of beans. They shared old fashioned scales with weights on them  ;D needless to say the veg was so tasty.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 08:49:27 »
Give em the Ol Moorish stored lemon routine Tim,AD711 saw them introduce many a titbit to spanish quisine
albeit the spaniards wont have you believe it.

http://www.spanishfoodworld.co.uk/2010/10/the-moor-the-merrier

Citrons Confit is dead easy and if you enjoy lemon usage in spiced oil for cooking then use the following recipe................

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/miscellaneous/fetch-recipe.php?rid=misc-citrons-confits

I profess to enjoying a Tagine full O Chicken and veg with this lemon flavouring
although the following are standard "Tesco " brought salted and are equally enjoyed in many recipes.

anyway,enjoy your Lemons mate......Oh and the Speckled Hen in the background of your piccy will surely help to wash it all down...... ;D

Gazza

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal