Author Topic: leaf miner pest  (Read 991 times)

Topsoil

• Not So New ...
leaf miner pest
« on: July 05, 2012, 10:51:44 »
Probably been asked loads of times, but I'm new on the board so apologies. My lettuces have grown ok...but they are being ruined by rampant leaf miner. Goodness they are a pain. I'm thinking that next year I should sow them and cover them with fleece until they are quite mature. Is this what others do? I know there is nothing you can really do to get rid of them since they are burrowed within the leaf, but what do others do?

I realise they attack the daisy leaf family to, but naturally I'm less worried about those...

thanks so much

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: leaf miner pest
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 16:56:35 »
The advice is to pick off and burn affected leaves, and keep soil hoed to expose grubs... not much help if you have a major infestation. Seem to have got it under control in my chard though...  :-X

Topsoil

• Not So New ...
Re: leaf miner pest
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 19:12:48 »
Thanks for that. I've picked off all the infected leaves, but you are right I think I have a pretty bad infestation. Will take your advice and turn the earth somewhat to try to expose the grubs. I have brocoli growing next to the lettuces but they are fine.  Perhaps this is how our dear Earth feels when we mine for coal!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal