Author Topic: Bolting Rocket  (Read 1771 times)

Topsoil

• Not So New ...
Bolting Rocket
« on: July 03, 2012, 20:47:05 »
Hello everyone. Just a quick question. I foolishly sowed too many rocket seeds and they all came up and all did well. Can't actually eat them fast enough. Is it best to nip the bolting buds off to prevent them bolting and flowering, does this affect the leaves, taste etc?

thanks in advance

breezy

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Bolting Rocket
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 21:05:33 »
Once they start making flower heads..there is very little you can do about it and even when removed, they don't tend to do much new leaves that are lush like when still young plants.
The taste can change slightly when they mature to flowering stage, becoming more 'hotter' and spicier.
It is one of those crops that don't have very long life span and it is best sown little and often to keep continuous supply going. You can eat flowers too...but they are stronger tasting.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 21:09:56 by goodlife »

Topsoil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 21:10:20 »
ah..thanks for that goodlife, I didn't know you could munch on the flowers, but will heed your advice and sow less in the future. Thanks so much

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 09:45:35 »
Yep I agree with goodlife, actually rocket has been very bad this year. Mine went straight to flower before we even got to eat any of it!  However if you let it flower and seed it produces abundant seed: I let it self seed actually and always have bits of rocket popping up, just a little goes a long way!

As the leaves get older they get tough and are not so nice to eat (very strong). I grew mizuna for the first time this year and I am rapt with it, it has grown like wildfire.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 16:59:08 »
It can do better from later sowings too... less prone to flea beetle and slower to bolt...  :-\

breenalipally

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 23:23:52 »
Antipodes, is Mizuna hot like rocket? I love rocket but mine has all flowered too but I planted some more a few days ago and it is through already.  I let mine go to seed too and keep them in an envelope for planting later.  I like the sound of mizuna though, I also pick a few nasturtiam leaves and flowers for my salad as they have a peppery taste too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal